Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Tá mé ar meisce.
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchase a new ml frame. I am getting the parts ready for my build and I have a question concerning the seat post. I am not sure if I should order a straight post or a setback. I currently have a setback post on my heckler and I had one on my cake. I know that the sea tube angle is different on the heckler also the TT is about an inch longer. Would the different geometry of the ML make a straight post a better fit or should I stick with the set back? If it matters I am going from a 90mm stem on the heckler to 110 mm on the ML.

Thanks

·
ಠ_ಠ
3,190 Posts
The Motolite has a pretty slack seat-tube angle for a trail-bike, so going with a set-back post effectively slackens it even more putting more weight over your rear tire. This is great for descending and less great for seated climbs. It also depends on your personal fit and preference. In general though I would think most riders would be better off with a straight post.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
dulyebr said:
The Motolite has a pretty slack seat-tube angle for a trail-bike, so going with a set-back post effective slackens it even more putting more weight over your rear tire. This is great for descending and less great for seated climbs. It also depends on your personal fit and preference. In general though I would think most riders would be better off with a straight post.
Way to go... straight or nothing. :thumbsup:

You can get away with a setback with low a2c forks for seated climbing, but if you use a leng travel one (Pike, AM Series Zoke), the straight one is a must.

·
Tá mé ar meisce.
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replies so far. I am going to be using a RS revelation fork. I think I will go with the straight post for now and see what happens.

Cheers

·
Ti is addictive
2,894 Posts
I've been goin back and forth between the setback and straight. As stated, easier on the downs, harder on the ups for setback.......

Straight should be good for you as Titus TT is actually quite long compared to SC, that was one of the reasons why I never jumped on the blur wagon.......

·
Tá mé ar meisce.
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TiEndo said:
I've been goin back and forth between the setback and straight. As stated, easier on the downs, harder on the ups for setback.......

Straight should be good for you as Titus TT is actually quite long compared to SC, that was one of the reasons why I never jumped on the blur wagon.......
Actually the titus TT is about an inch shorter than my SC. Thats what has me worried.

·
Registered
386 Posts
BeerCan said:
"L" ML compared to "XL" Heckler
Okay, so here is what we know:

Heckler (XL) STA=72.0 TT=25.1

ML (L) STA=73.0 TT=24.25

Assume that you want to duplicate the riding position of the Heckler to the ML.

If you took the same setback seatpost and saddle from the Heckler and put it on the ML, the seat would be about 0.33" more forward on the ML. This is because the seattube angle is 1 degree steeper on the ML, and you can do the math. So to maintain the same position over the pedals that you had on the Heckler, use the same model setback seatpost and slide the seat 0.33" back on the rails.

To maintain the same cockpit length from the Heckler to the ML, the stem should be longer by (25.0" - 24.25") - 0.33" = 0.42" = 11mm. So if you liked a 90mm stem on the Heckler, then 100mm should be close to the same fit on the ML.

Bottom line: Start with a setback seatpost, slide seat back 0.33" more, and a 100mm stem. That should duplicate the riding position from the Heckler to your new ML.

·
MTB aficionado
1,022 Posts
This is only true if he......

uses the Revelation in 100mm mode only. The seat-tube angle on the ML changes (slackens) with a change in the front travel. Also, effective TT length gets longer with more travel up front. A set-back seat-post using 130mm travel up-front would make for a great descending bike, but not so much a well behaved climber.... if the OP is into climbing that is.

I'd fit the ML to the front travel you will be riding in 80% of the time.

Regards,

EndUser

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.