Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '98 Schwinn Homegrown that needs a new seatpost collar. It takes a 26.8 post. Anybody know what size collar would work with this bike? Thanx.

·
Registered
388 Posts
i just went through this. the local lbs said to go off of seatpost diameter. when i called back to find out if they had one another guy who actually knows what he is doing told me he needed the seattube diameter, this of course makes more sense but the sizes i was seeing on the internet led me to believe that they may sell them based off of seatpost dia. seatpost collars are sold off of the seattube outside diameter. you'll have to measure it with some calipers as it can vary based on how thick the seattube is.

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
Paper, pencil, and elementary geometry

mtnlyon said:
I have a '98 Schwinn Homegrown that needs a new seatpost collar. It takes a 26.8 post. Anybody know what size collar would work with this bike? Thanx.
Take a piece of paper and wrap it around the tube. Then mark with a pencil where it overlaps. Flatten the paper and measure the length.

Then using some elementary geometry: Circumerence= Pi X Dia or Dia = Cir / Pi

Take your length (cir) and divide it by Pi (3.1415) and you'll have the diameter.

If your measurement is in inches, multiply that my 25.4 and you'll have it in millimeters.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.