Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I Have Gnarly Potential
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heya guys, quick question. When ordering a new seatpost clamp, what size do you go by when they ask, the acual seatpost size, or the diamater of the outsize of the tube that the seatpost goes in? (some metal tubes may have diff thicknesses for the same size seatpost i guess)

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
They'll be needing the actual outer diameter of the seattube.

Krause said:
heya guys, quick question. When ordering a new seatpost clamp, what size do you go by when they ask, the acual seatpost size, or the diamater of the outsize of the tube that the seatpost goes in? (some metal tubes may have diff thicknesses for the same size seatpost i guess)

·
I Have Gnarly Potential
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool so when a website is selling one and lists diff sizes, their talkin about that also right?

·
Faller - Expert Class
647 Posts
Yep, same model, just different size. You could either measure the outer diameter of the seat tube or the inner diameter of the seatpost clamp. "Six in one, half-dozen in the other".:rolleyes:

Hope this helps, you should be set!:cool:

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Also worth noting that the collar diameter often matches the front derailleur clamp diameter (sometimes that spec is easier to look up online).

When shopping for a replacement, sometimes you'll see collars listed 0.1mm larger than you need. (Salsa does this... a 35.0mm collar yet everyone is looking for 34.9mm). This difference is insignificant and won't affect fit.

·
I Have Gnarly Potential
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Speedub.Nate said:
Also worth noting that the collar diameter often matches the front derailleur clamp diameter (sometimes that spec is easier to look up online).

When shopping for a replacement, sometimes you'll see collars listed 0.1mm larger than you need. (Salsa does this... a 35.0mm collar yet everyone is looking for 34.9mm). This difference is insignificant and won't affect fit.
Very cool :)

·
Custom User Title
157 Posts
Speedub.Nate said:

Man, where was this post a week ago :madman:

·
Just another FOC'er
2,222 Posts
Speedub.Nate said:
Sometimes it does, but not on my Turner 5-Spot or 6-Pack. I'd double check that to be sure!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts