Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am tired of adjusting my seatpost due to slippage during a ride. I have a 2005 yeti 575. Please let me know what size clamp i should purchase, and what brand has been effective?

Thanks! Rode yesterday at Green Mountain in Denver!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,176 Posts
You need the 31.8 or 32 (either will work- same thing). I have a Salsa QR on my 575 and a Hope QR on the ASR-SL. They both work perfectly. Pick the one you like the looks of.
 

·
Dr. Pepper drinker
Joined
·
1,637 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,135 Posts
I had problems with mine slipping until I removed it thoroughly cleaned everything, and put it back together. It's been slip-free ever since.
 

·
Adobo Lover
Joined
·
984 Posts
I never had slippage problems. I did get a seatpost clamp from Hope for Xmas, no QR though. I never adjust my seat so I figured I didn't need the QR. Size 31.8 from jenson. I also got matching hope skewers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,420 Posts
HOPE QR collar 31.8!!!

bikebum said:
I am tired of adjusting my seatpost due to slippage during a ride. I have a 2005 yeti 575. Please let me know what size clamp i should purchase, and what brand has been effective?

Thanks! Rode yesterday at Green Mountain in Denver!!
I had the same problem. I got Hope QR's for the wheels and collar, and I also got the seatpost QR. Hope makes the best QR's period. Salsa is second, but Hope is way superior.

They are cheap on www.jensonusa.com and you can get them in all sorts of bling colors. I like the black as in the picture below:
 

Attachments

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
Joined
·
4,009 Posts
bikebum said:
Rode yesterday at Green Mountain in Denver!!
If I ever quit taking day trips up to the powder I might get my 575 built up and on the trails around Denver. Green Mtn isn't much of a challenge for your 575, I think you should have been across the street at Dakota/Matthew Winters.... :)
 

·
EDR
Joined
·
10,037 Posts
I switched to a Salsa QR, very nice compared to the stock crap but the carbon Next seatpost would still slip occasionally, usually not up and down but it would twist. I put a Thomson Elite seatpost on an it has made the difference! That crappy RF carbon is now awaiting Ebay listings, haha.... :D

Really, I'm sure its a fine post but the 575 seat tube diameter seems to need a little more Umph to get any post tight. But make no mistake, the Thomson is far superior in the way its machined and the tiny grooves seem to help keep it positioned on this bike.
 

·
trail "cleaner"
Joined
·
1,382 Posts
its the post and not the clamp!

I use the stock seat post clamp and never have any issues with slippage. I contribute this to the fact I use a Thomson seatpost. It's greased to prevent bonding and I adjust the seat up and down often for climbing/steep descents. Still, never have a problem with slippage. My .02
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,420 Posts
Slippage with Thompson

AZmtncycler said:
I use the stock seat post clamp and never have any issues with slippage. I contribute this to the fact I use a Thomson seatpost. It's greased to prevent bonding and I adjust the seat up and down often for climbing/steep descents. Still, never have a problem with slippage. My .02
I have a Thomson seatpost and it did slip with the stock clamp which is a plastic POS.

Just spend the $15 for the Hope and your bike will be so much faster.....

Because you do not have to stop and fix the freaking seat post height every 10 min.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jdub said:
If I ever quit taking day trips up to the powder I might get my 575 built up and on the trails around Denver. Green Mtn isn't much of a challenge for your 575, I think you should have been across the street at Dakota/Matthew Winters.... :)
I did, green mtn then up zorro to hog back, then MW and back around and down Zorro then back around Green mtn.

hogsback is my fav... the narlyier the better. still working on clearing all of the steps on hogsback. never seen it done, heard it has been though.
 

·
I've got a Stiffee
Joined
·
913 Posts
I quickly replaced my stock seat clamp with a Salsa and the seat post problem went away. Then I replaced all of my quick releases with Hopes and I haven't been very pleased with the Hope seat post quick release. For one when you loosen it the entire clamp rotates on the seat tube which makes keeping it aligned in one direction difficult. Then also when you go to clamp it shut you can have the clamp pointing up/down.....basically not centered where as with the Salsa it can't rotate and it had a tighter fit on the seat tube. Just my little rants, they both work but I think the Salsa is a slightly better design ;)
 

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
Joined
·
4,009 Posts
FXRob said:
Just my little rants, they both work but I think the Salsa is a slightly better design ;)
I'm going with the Hope on my new 575, and before had a Salsa. The reason I went hope over Salsa this time is I was always worried I would impale my leg with the Salsa lever in a crash.

Granted it had never happened, but I like the "ball" on the hope lever better so I went this way. Hopefully I won't be unhappy with it, but I guess I can always pick up a Salsa again if that is the case.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
656 Posts
Jdub said:
I'm going with the Hope on my new 575, and before had a Salsa. The reason I went hope over Salsa this time is I was always worried I would impale my leg with the Salsa lever in a crash.

Granted it had never happened, but I like the "ball" on the hope lever better so I went this way. Hopefully I won't be unhappy with it, but I guess I can always pick up a Salsa again if that is the case.
impalement with a qr lever....the things you boys think of...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,420 Posts
Impalement?

Didn't Shaka Zulu do that with like super long spears and stuck them through their a$$es and come out their mouths alive?
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
i just ordered a hope clamp from jenson for $10 and a couple of hope skewers for $35.

i don't have as much slippage with the thompson post, but still, its an effort to get the stock clamp tight enough to work properly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
mappable said:
i just ordered a hope clamp from jenson for $10 and a couple of hope skewers for $35.

i don't have as much slippage with the thompson post, but still, its an effort to get the stock clamp tight enough to work properly.

just bought a salsa quickrelease from AE bikes. Merry X-mas to myself!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
installed and tested the new Hope Clamp this weekend. The lever is longer than the stock clamp and easily held the thompson post in place.

mappable said:
i just ordered a hope clamp from jenson for $10 and a couple of hope skewers for $35.

i don't have as much slippage with the thompson post, but still, its an effort to get the stock clamp tight enough to work properly.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
656 Posts
mappable said:
installed and tested the new Hope Clamp this weekend. The lever is longer than the stock clamp and easily held the thompson post in place.
no impalement risk either... :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,176 Posts
The way guys think about seatpost clamps and Shaka Zulu at the same time, makes me glad I'm here- FREAKS :D

I love it!!
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top