Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there was a thread about this a few days ago but it was using a Stan's tape. I have a Roval Traverse wheelset and I'm using the strips that were installed by the factory.

I had to use pliers to tighten my valve nut enough to get it to stop leaking when I first set them up. Yesterday I went to change my tire and somehow it started to leak again. One more twist with the pliers and the valve stem came right through the other side, stripping the rubber off it. I have a spare set of Bontrager valve stems but they appear to be designed to work specifically with their strips, as these leak like crazy (very small rubber o-ring on the valve itself because the strip is already rubber).

Has anyone else gone through this? What else can I use? The Specialized ones seem flimsy or poorly designed and I'd need to carry pliers on the trail if I ever had to put in a tube to take the nut off.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
FWIW

On my WTB rims I put some extra tape (Gorilla tape was suggested by many but I used standard electrical tape) inside the rim at the hole. Drilled with a small bit thru the tape then inserted the stem.
I also added a small rubber O ring on the outside below the nut that stopped most of my leak.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
If you need pliers to stop the valve from leaking, you're doing something wrong. You said you're using the stock "strips", are they actually tubeless? Last time I checked Roval wheels used tape just like Stans, WTB, etc. The only difference being blue instead of yellow. Is the valve hole a clean hole or is there excess material? And finally it never hurts to put some sealant around the rubber part of the valve stem then installing it. You can use valves cut out of tubes and it should work just fine.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is the strip I'm using. Not my image but it's the same stuff. Yes, tubeless and the hole is a clean hole. It worked for a while but I guess I tightened it a little too much with the pliers and pulled it through...

DSC00966.jpg

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FWIW

On my WTB rims I put some extra tape (Gorilla tape was suggested by many but I used standard electrical tape) inside the rim at the hole. Drilled with a small bit thru the tape then inserted the stem.
I also added a small rubber O ring on the outside below the nut that stopped most of my leak.
It's my understanding that all of the sealing "should" be done on the inside of the rim (in reference to your o-ring on the outside comment).

·
Registered
354 Posts
Usually when you are leaking from the valve stem it means that the tape is not completely sealing off all the spoke holes. I would buy some stans tape/gorilla tape and take off the OEM tape and tape them yourself. You shouldn't have to use pliers to tighten the valve stem, only hand tighten.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Usually when you are leaking from the valve stem it means that the tape is not completely sealing off all the spoke holes. I would buy some stans tape/gorilla tape and take off the OEM tape and tape them yourself. You shouldn't have to use pliers to tighten the valve stem, only hand tighten.
I just noticed what looks like a little slit a few inches away from the valve stem that's maybe 1mm long. I'm guessing it's going in there and out through the gap between the valve stem and the nut to tighten it.

Is there any value in trying to repair this (gorilla glue, epoxy, etc) or should I just tear it all off and re-tape it?

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was thinking of getting the Stan's strips, looks easier/hassle free.

The rim strip I just took off said 25mm on it but everything I'm seeing online says this wheelset has a 24mm internal diameter. Which set do I order?

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any reason why I see most people getting the tape instead of the strips? Seems like the strips are easier... maybe cost?

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Do NOT use rim strips on that rim!
Rim strips are for converting tubed rims.
Get a new vavle stem....and put a coating of Stans on the inner rubber piece. You should not need to tighten it with pliers.
How does the tape around the valve stem hole in the rim look?

·
Registered
354 Posts
The strips are more convenient and are make life easier for my wheelset, Bontrager RXL's. You just snap them in and are good to go. I don't have experience with Stans rim strips only Bontrager rims strips.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
The strips are more convenient and are make life easier for my wheelset, Bontrager RXL's. You just snap them in and are good to go. I don't have experience with Stans rim strips only Bontrager rims strips. Either one should work for you.
Completely wrong.
Bontrager rims REQUIRE the Bontrager strip to be tubeless.
These rims pictured use tape

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do NOT use rim strips on that rim!
Rim strips are for converting tubed rims.
Get a new vavle stem....and put a coating of Stans on the inner rubber piece. You should not need to tighten it with pliers.
How does the tape around the valve stem hole in the rim look?
The rim comes with the brown tape pictured above which got a hole in it somehow, just figured that out after I posted this topic.

The tape around the valve stem hole is fine, but a few inches away from it there's a little slit, which I am assuming is what caused the leak, not the valve stem. Do I HAVE to use Stan's tape instead of the Stan's strip? The strip seems so much easier.
The strips are more convenient and are make life easier for my wheelset, Bontrager RXL's. You just snap them in and are good to go. I don't have experience with Stans rim strips only Bontrager rims strips. Either one should work for you.
The Bontrager strips are Bontrager wheel specific I think. I wish they weren't because I had RXL's at one point and they were a dream, so easy!

·
DFMBA.org
1,874 Posts
I took the brown strip out on my Rovals and replaced it with 1 layer of Gorilla tape. Worked like a charm and seals better.

Sent from the trails.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Completely wrong.
Bontrager rims REQUIRE the Bontrager strip to be tubeless.
These rims pictured use tape
Meant to say that Bontrager rim strips make my life easier and not the Stans rim strips. I edited my mistake out.

The Bontrager strips are Bontrager wheel specific I think. I wish they weren't because I had RXL's at one point and they were a dream, so easy!
Yes they are Bontrager Specific but people use them on the Chinese carbon 29er wheels. Not sure which strip but I think it was the Bontrager Rhythm strips. I dont have any clue if they would work on yours.

I would go for the tried and true Stans tape for your wheelset.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Do I HAVE to use Stan's tape instead of the Stan's strip? The strip seems so much easier.
If you want to do it wrong...by all means...use a strip.
It will make the bead area too thick to mount a tire.

Or....You could get some Stans tape....peel off the old tape and rewrap it in 2 minutes.

Your choice.
Good luck with what ever you do.

·
SPECIALizED
516 Posts
Just to add to what others have said use the tape whether it be Stans or Gorilla and tighten the valve stem finger tight. It may leak a little but it will eventually seal.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you want to do it wrong...by all means...use a strip.
It will make the bead area too thick to mount a tire.

Or....You could get some Stans tape....peel off the old tape and rewrap it in 2 minutes.

Your choice.
Good luck with what ever you do.
Wrapping just sounds harder than something pre-fit to the right size that you wrap around. I'll get tape if it's actually better but to me tape sounds ghetto compared to a pre-fit piece of rubber.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts