Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I live in an apartment and don't have/want a compressor, I've now tried a few methods of seating a tubeless tire:

* Floor pump - Works sometimes, lots of frustrating pumping like a maniac.
* CO2 - Works sometimes, lots of wasted cartridges and money. Supposedly bad for sealant.
* Garden sprayer - DING DING DING! We have a winner! Seats immediately, everytime, the first time.

You're probably asking yourself, why does this guy own a garden sprayer if he lives in an apartment? Last year I built a brake pressure bleeder for my car (See here) out of one and still had it around. I had attached a Schrader valve to it to easily check the pressure. I figured if air can come out of that valve, it can go in. I happen to use the 20" BMX ghetto tubeless method, but this will probably work with whatever you're using. This probably isn't worth doing if you don't have or don't need a garden sprayer. I'm not responsible if you somehow kill yourself doing this.

Supplies:
Garden sprayer - I use the cheapest 1/2 gal one at Ace hardware (This one - $11)
A bolt-on Schrader valve from NAPA (NAPA part #90432 - $1)

Stuff I had around:
Some 1/4" inner diameter hose, or an old pump hose
One or two hose clamps
A floor pump
An old spray bottle with soapy water in it

Steps:
1. Drill a hole in the garden sprayer for the valve and install it (see photo)
2. Attach tubing to sprayer hose handle with a hose clamp - You might need to drill out one of the little sprayer nozzle attachments to get the right size for the tubing and to flow enough air.
3. Using the floor pump attached to the valve on sprayer, pump up the tank. Be careful, I found I could pump the sprayer to 50psi with built in pump handle, and with the floor pump it would goto 85psi before the O-ring would start to leak. Might want to point the top away from you, just in case! I use 80psi when seating a tire.
4. Remove valve core from tire and attach tubing with a hose clamp. I assume at this point you've already added sealant to the tire and have all of your normal tubeless preparations made. Hang the wheel and spray down the tire bead with soapy water using the spray bottle.
5. Press lightly on the tire where the valve stem is, just to push the bead out a bit. Squeeze the handle on the garden sprayer and with any luck you'll have a 1/2 gallon of 80psi compressed air rushing into your tire and seating the bead.
6. Now you'll have to have quick hands. I quickly switch the floor pump onto the tire and pump it up to 60psi, then pull it off and install the vlave stem before all of the air rushes out.
7. Enjoy

*Note - I am, of course, referring to non-UST setups

Attachments

·
Save Jesus
2,947 Posts
"6. Now you'll have to have quick hands. I quickly switch the floor pump onto the tire and pump it up to 60psi, then pull it off and install the vlave stem before all of the air rushes out."

How can you do this fast enough without air rushing out?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
beanbag said:
"6. Now you'll have to have quick hands. I quickly switch the floor pump onto the tire and pump it up to 60psi, then pull it off and install the vlave stem before all of the air rushes out."

How can you do this fast enough without air rushing out?
I pull the tubing off and stick my thumb over the valve, then quickly stick the pump on. You really only need a couple pounds of pressure remaining to keep the bead seated. I then pump it up good and high before I goto reinsert the valve core. Once you start putting the valve core in the rush of air slows to a hiss while you screw it in. If you used an old pump hose instead of the tubing you could probably skip the switch to the pump, but I don't have an old pump hose :-/

shiggy said:
Or you can just spend $25-30 on a 5 gal portable air tank that is designed for this and safe to up to 125psi.
http://www.harborfreight.com/5-gallon-portable-air-tank-65594.html
Oh definitely, the garden sprayer is a total hack. An air tank (or compressor) is the way to go if you don't already have a garden sprayer, or don't have somewhere to put a 5 gallon air tank. I only did this because I already had the sprayer and used it for other stuff.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
< FACEPALM!!!!!!!!!!!!/ >

My Gawd!

There are still people that can't seat tubeless tires?

What the hell is it that I am doing incorrectly? I've yet to see a tubeless tire that
can't be simply seated by hand and then easily pumped up with a floor pump.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.