Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· being is
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a saddle to relieve pressure from the nether region (south of the rocks and north of where the sun doesn't shine). Does Brooks fit the bill? I've never tried a Brooks but get the impression that they support most of the rider's weight at the sit bones. Does this relieve pressure from the soft tissue down the middle?

Any other saddle suggestions? I've tried the Salsa Zona-tres and found it pretty uncomfortable (two sharp ridges w/ a hole in the middle). Also tried the WTB laserV DH saddle (sags too much and bottoms out on the seat-post). All of the WTB saddles seem to sag a lot (tried a SST too). This doesn't work as I end up w/ the saddle crashing into the top of the seatpost.

Any others candidates worth mentioning?

THX

· King Pin
1,247 Posts
Personally, I've been sold on Brooks saddles for several years now. Tried riding with my Selle Italia Flite Trans Am (with cut-out) and another (Genuine Gel) just recently, and felt immediate discomfort in the "nether region" or "tween", as we say in AZ.

I have a nicely broken in B17 (heavy but comfy) on the Surly, and a wonderful (almost broken in!) Pre-softened Team Pro on the Sofa King. I can literally ride all day on my Brookies, with very little discomfort.

These other two saddles will be sold soon, as I just MUST have another Swift!

I do liberally slather Proofide on the underside, and let it soak UNDER all the metallic bits (warm oven), so as to provide some wet weather protection. If you use one in the Northwet or ??, you'll need a rear fender.

Just my thoughts!

pseudo intellectual said:
I'm looking for a saddle to relieve pressure from the nether region (south of the rocks and north of where the sun doesn't shine). Does Brooks fit the bill? I've never tried a Brooks but get the impression that they support most of the rider's weight at the sit bones. Does this relieve pressure from the soft tissue down the middle?

Any other saddle suggestions? I've tried the Salsa Zona-tres and found it pretty uncomfortable (two sharp ridges w/ a hole in the middle). Also tried the WTB laserV DH saddle (sags too much and bottoms out on the seat-post). All of the WTB saddles seem to sag a lot (tried a SST too). This doesn't work as I end up w/ the saddle crashing into the top of the seatpost.

Any others candidates worth mentioning?

THX

· Registered
512 Posts
Brooks forms to fit you, looks good, and lasts forever. But like all saddles, it's a personal thing. UNLIKE all saddles, you can buy a Brooks from Wallingford Bike (wallbike.com) and return it within 6 months for a full refund NQA. So there is really nothing to lose.

How I break-in a Brooks (idea copied from something written in the 70's).
Get new Brooks, smell that wonderful leather.
Do not Proofhide.
Mount on bike, make adjustments.
Throw wet rag across it 1-hour before ride.

Repeat the wet rag part for a few rides until sit-bone dimples start to form.
THEN Proofhide it.

Most of my bikes have Brooks and Bebops--well ALL of them that I ride do.

· drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,911 Posts
A friend asked me whether or not he should get one for mountain biking. To get the same feeling, I told him that he should give me $100 and I'll kick him in the nuts. :p

Unfortunately, Brooks saddles are one of those experiments that you won't know really works until you've invested a lot of time and money into it. They didn't work for me. I'm a plain ol' Flite boy.

· King Pin
1,247 Posts
Your are absolutely correct, what works for some....!

Do you still have a Brooks, Drevil? I've some "plain ol' Flites" for trade (like new!)....

Drevil said:
A friend asked me whether or not he should get one for mountain biking. To get the same feeling, I told him that he should give me $100 and I'll kick him in the nuts. :p

Unfortunately, Brooks saddles are one of those experiments that you won't know really works until you've invested a lot of time and money into it. They didn't work for me. I'm a plain ol' Flite boy.

· Registered
228 Posts
to answer the specific question

yes, they noticeably relieve pressure in the nether regions since you aren't sinking into the seat so much. That said, there are a lot of Brooks models out there and they may not all work for you. I have the Team Pro on my cross/commuter and like it a lot. Selle Flights are the best non-Brooks saddles for me but they always put pressure on the nethers. May try something different on another bike like a B-17 narrow to see if that's even better. Helps to have the Brooks pointed a little bit nose down.

· drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,911 Posts
xrmattaz said:
Your are absolutely correct, what works for some....!

Do you still have a Brooks, Drevil? I've some "plain ol' Flites" for trade (like new!)....
Thanks XRMattaz, but I sold mine off many years ago. Also, I have a stash of new Flites. Whenever they go on clearance I pick up a handful.

· hispanic mechanic
2,705 Posts
Brooks' my saddle of choice...

I ride Brooks saddles exclusively, and have 24 hour solo experience with 'em.
That being said, Drevil has a very valid point, no one saddle will work for everyone. My suggestion? Get a team Pro from Wallingford (unless you have a way of getting one cheap,) try it out (don't be afraid to tinker with position,) and if you hate it, return it!
Do remember what xrmattaz said about protecting it from the wet!

the los

· Registered
246 Posts
I have a Brooks B-17 on the Cross/Commuter that feels really nice. But I am really digging the Terry Fly Ti that I put on the Surly 1x1 a couple of months ago. The seat just seems to disappear!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.