Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Finishing a build on a TP frame I bought used as I sought out an aluminum model instead of going for carbon. My Fox transfer post is VERY tight in the frame, as in to get it in the seat tube it seems to require a lot of force and there is practically zero gap between the post and the tube. To get it to "ride height" I ultimately had to flip the bike over and press on the bottom bracket shell with the seat against the ground to get it to slide in.

Has anyone experienced anything similar and if so, what was your solution? I contacted GG and they stated that they are unsure of the fitment of the transfer post as it's rarely put on one of their builds and the previous owner used a KS Lev which he indicated he did not have issues with. GG suggested attempting to hone out the tube a bit to get more clearance but I don't exactly have that capability in my garage.

Thanks.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I've seen similar questions on here.

Personally, I've never had the issue. if you are not comfortable with a hone, you could try putting a wire brush on the end of a cordless drill. Run it up and down through the seat to but few times. That would clean out any debris that might be there, but not take off a large amount of metal.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

·
Your bike sucks
2,553 Posts
before doing anything -> put a caliper on the OD of the post, and ID of the tube. compare against spec/other posts, etc. you wouldn't ream - rather a quick and careful flex hone (google - it's cheap) and done.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Maybe the previous owner didn't have his dropper inserted as far.

I would prefer to ream than hone. The adjustable reamer is more intimidating but easier to use and more precise. I had to do this on my pedalhead after the LBS tried to hone it. Once I got the diameter of the reamer set it only took one pass.

·
I like goin' fast
110 Posts
Transfer posts typically end up a little larger than spec and we almost always have to use a flex-hone to open up seat tubes for customers who want to install a Transfer dropper. We're talking thousandths of an inch here but enough to make a straightforward dropper installation more difficult than expected. We have a precisely machined dropper fitment checker that measures exactly 30.9mm; every frame that leaves our shop is checked with this tool and we know that the droppers we spec (KS, BikeYoke, SDG) will fit without trouble.

If you're not comfortable with using a flex-hone, call around to your local shops and see if someone has one. It's a quick procedure to remove a little bit of material in the seat-tube but not enough to affect the fitment of any other dropper down the line. Aluminum is soft enough you shouldn't need to get an actual reamer as user jeremy3220 mentioned for his steel Pedalhead.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.