Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I need help. I may be SOL and I'm trying to prepare myself for that. I never buy used but because I needed a bike for a trip with my kids and bike shops had nothing in stock I took a gamble and I messed up by not checking weld spots.

I purchased what I believe is a used 19 or possibly 20 Trek Marlin 7. I test rode it and all was well. I took it home and during cleaning noticed a big ol crack in the seat stay. I took it for a two mile ride. (Mostly street and light trail) and it seemed fine. Although I can hear it creaking time to time. My assumption is it needs a full frame. I don't have trek's warranty because I'm a second owner and it was not a retail establishment purchase. We're leaving for Burke VT for our annual trip so I'll be riding it up there in all trails. Nothing crazy. Literally following my kids around who are young. The left seat stay is solid.

Will I be ok with this or is this a disaster waiting to happen? I don't have the funds to get another bike and I'm not the kind of person to try and sell this to someone else. I thought about visiting my local welding shop to see if they could Tig weld it for now.

I'm looking for feedback/thoughts. I'm really bummed but this is my fault.

·
1,065 Posts
I personally would not ride that. The trouble with cracks is that they grow.

The person who sold it to you is responsible for that. If they knew the crack was there (and they probably did if you can hear it) and sold it to you without disclosing that fact, my guess is they broke the law. If that person isn't a sociopath, maybe see if they can get it warrantied by Trek.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Call Trek
Subsequent Ownership
Subsequent owners (second or later) are entitled to a 3 year warranty from the date of purchase from the retailer on the Trek frame and Trek fork. This does not include items such as wheels, suspension forks, drive train components, etc.

·
Registered
682 Posts
bummer. If I was just riding slow with my kid on some simple gravel path or something, I'd probably just JB weld it while trying to figure out a replacement frame strategy. I wouldn't ride on anything gnarlier than that though.

I'd contact the seller to see if he'd be willing to try and warranty the frame on your behalf

If you're not getting anywhere there, I'd contact trek directly and see what can be worked out. I'd imagine a discounted crash replacement Marlin frame would be pretty affordable. Unfortunately, I'm not sure it's worth your time / effort or resources to go the litigious route with a private seller.

Worst case scenario, if you're still in Burke with a busted bike, the local shop has some amazing rental full suspension bikes that aren't too much money.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Worth reaching out to the person you bought it from.. even if they wont refund you (likely... buying used comes with that risk).. maybe you can get them to help you with Trek... If they are the original owner they can process the claim with your help. This way they dont need to refund you your money, but they are not such an [email protected] in the end. Best of luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.