Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
carbon seatposts are definitely okay for mtb use. many pros use them and i'm sure they ride harder than you.

the only type of riding that i'd hesitate with carbon seatposts are DH type riding, a wrong landing may result in a very harsh injury.

i personally use a carbon seatpost and its been fine since the first day

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would recommend carbon post only if it is constructed with an alum sleeve. Some alum cores are thicker than others. If you bike came with a carbon post, then don't worry and just ride it.

If you do any kind of jumping,impact related riding, or you know that you are "hard" on your equipment, then I would recommend full on alum posts. But then, you can go carbon, but expect to replace it at least once. It's hard not to take a jump every so often on a mtn. bike.

Also, if you do any kind of long distance riding (40miles) out in the middle of no where, go alum because you don't want to hike back with a broken post.

I've seen carbon posts break at mtn bike short track races, and CX races. Not a big deal, but it goes to show, carbon can break unexpectedly.

Having said that, I do ride a carbon post on my CX and road bike, but alum on my XC dualie. I just recently convinced myself to install carbon bars after months of contemplating over it.

·
Never trust a fart
4,543 Posts
I think with MTBing a carbon post is subjected to a lot of different stresses than road riding. Most of these is due to bouncing around on the saddle. I wouldn't want to take the chance of bouncing on a seat over a rough section and have a carbon seatpost break.

Now I have a carbon on my road bike, but I use an aluminum on my FS bike. Carbon is good if your looking for a weight weenie bike, but with the technology out now, aluminum components are just as light and as strong.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.