Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Resident Lurker
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to ditch the Camelbak for some races this year. 1 bottle just isn't enough so I'm looking for a seat post mount that can hold 1 bottle. I know there are some meant for TT bikes, but I'm looking for a single bottle and something more secure for mtn biking. Anyone use one or know of a good one?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
strandog said:
I want to ditch the Camelbak for some races this year. 1 bottle just isn't enough so I'm looking for a seat post mount that can hold 1 bottle. I know there are some meant for TT bikes, but I'm looking for a single bottle and something more secure for mtn biking. Anyone use one or know of a good one?
the 2010 Sworks Epics came with a nice set of clamps for the seatpost. don't know how to get your hands on them though....

·
Registered
169 Posts
The velcro strap broke on my twofish after a few uses. I replaced it with 2 pump straps and it seems to be holding.
Don't use the Profile dual cages (time trial looking ones). A friend of mine with back problems tried them, they lasted a couple of rides.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'd try not to carry weight that high up on the bike when possible. Definitely chug the seatpost mounted bottle first during a race. It's not much weight to hold in your hand, but it definitely raises the bikes center of gravity significantly when mounted so high up which affects the MTB's handling characteristics a lot more when compared to a road bike.

To me it's pretty easy to tell the difference between my 260 gram "comfort" seat as opposed to my 150 gram "race" seat in terms of swinging the bike side to side and leaning into corners. Adding another 1lb to the top of the bike would be very noticeable to me.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
jd1072 said:
I'd try not to carry weight that high up on the bike when possible. Definitely chug the seatpost mounted bottle first during a race. It's not much weight to hold in your hand, but it definitely raises the bikes center of gravity significantly when mounted so high up which affects the MTB's handling characteristics a lot more when compared to a road bike.

To me it's pretty easy to tell the difference between my 260 gram "comfort" seat as opposed to my 150 gram "race" seat in terms of swinging the bike side to side and leaning into corners. Adding another 1lb to the top of the bike would be very noticeable to me.
agreed. if you can get away with it just throw a bottle in your back pocket. the wife uses her seatpost mount mostly for training. (read long rides in hot weather where there isn't readily available fluids)

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
whybotherme said:
agreed. if you can get away with it just throw a bottle in your back pocket. the wife uses her seatpost mount mostly for training. (read long rides in hot weather where there isn't readily available fluids)
Have come to dislike the Camelbak, and also bottles in the jersey. I've raced with my bike like this no problem's for big loop XC events.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
miss rides a lot said:
Have come to dislike the Camelbak, and also bottles in the jersey. I've raced with my bike like this no problem's for big loop XC events.

hahha... i just got corrected. :)

·
Resident Lurker
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone.

I kind of feel stupid, I actually looked through the bag of stuff that came with my 2010 Epic and found the clamps that whybotherme mentioned. Actually, at first glance I thought they were extra seat post clamps :)

I'll give these a shot with a cage and see how it goes.

Thanks for the advice jd1072.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
strandog said:
Thanks everyone.

I kind of feel stupid, I actually looked through the bag of stuff that came with my 2010 Epic and found the clamps that whybotherme mentioned. Actually, at first glance I thought they were extra seat post clamps :)

I would say if you are doing short lap XC races you may not need the 2nd cage if getting feeds, but it is super useful IMO for training and/or just longer rides in general. It is "easy enough" to get to the bottle, but if you are racing on ST and using it as your "first feed" bottle it won't be super easy. I usually just switch bottles when my DT is empty.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
strandog said:
Thanks everyone.

just another suggestion...

invest in a good water bottle cage. would suck to eject one after carrying it up the climb. the best cages are the King ones. we have them in Ti and Steel. well worth the money.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Whoa! That blows.

ruppster said:
The velcro strap broke on my twofish after a few uses. I replaced it with 2 pump straps and it seems to be holding.
Don't use the Profile dual cages (time trial looking ones). A friend of mine with back problems tried them, they lasted a couple of rides.

I'll pass this on to Bob.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Whybotherme & miss rides a lot,

I bought a 2010 Sworks Epic earlier this year. I had no idea what those 2 clamps were for, and would never have known had you not posted. Thank you so much! I'm going to install them tonight and have 2 bottle mounts for my ride tomorrow. It's been 116 here the last few days (Phoenix). I hate camelbaks and 2 bottles are almost mandatory now.

·
Addicted to Dirt
674 Posts
Are these clamps available as an aftermarket item? Been looking for something similar without success...

·
Registered
566 Posts
ingluis said:
Are these clamps available as an aftermarket item? Been looking for something similar without success...
You might check with a Specialized dealer. When I bought my frameset, they were in a plastic bag, with no documentation as to what they were for. I'm sure a dealer can order them.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Berkeley Mike said:
Robert Studdiford has a company which makes a simple and stong product for this:

http://www.twofish.biz/bike.html

He is a supporter of IMBA, NorCal, YMCA, hooked up with Bike Rag and helped all my teams. I like to support him.
I attach mine in the top tube and the bottle sits tight. If you want to keep it safer, attach 2 zipties around and voila!
Also it is easier to get the bottle from the top tube than from the seatpost and the bottle rest lower and horizontaly

1 - 20 of 38 Posts