Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Tree Hugger
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am awaiting my new 29" Vulture. I've accumulated a lot of new parts for it and the only thing really lacking is the seatpost. So, I am probably going to purchase one so that I have the whole brand new toy package.

I am over 200 lbs and am in the saddle a fair bit of the time, so I like the idea of a seat post that adds to the comfort of the bike. For that reason I am leaning towards Ti, but I am willing to consider something else if folks think it will work as well.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

~Reed

·
Tree Hugger
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can be so...

ambivalent sometime Padre. :rolleyes:

Yea, the stem is a Thomson, so that is one of my choices if I decide against Ti. I was looking at the Dean Ti, which seems like one of the most affordable options.

Which Thomson do you have?

Thanks,

~R

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Reedster said:
... so I like the idea of a seat post that adds to the comfort of the bike. For that reason I am leaning towards Ti, but I am willing to consider something else if folks think it will work as well.
I have a Thomson set back model on my 29er now. I don't have any complaints about it. However, I'm not sure that "adds to the comfort of the bike". But I'm interested in Ti posts too, as well as the Thudbuster ST version (I don't care if Padre loses sleep)...

·
Tree Hugger
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Beuler, Beuler, ...anyone

Anyone going to recommend something besides a Thomson?

The comfort idea was the reports from some users that the Ti gave just enough to take the edge off of the bumps and jolts. I'll be out of the saddle for anything big, but I am usually in it for most rolling, relatively mellow terrain. But, I agree, adding a seat might be the best way to make the bike more comfortable. I'll look into that. :D

Thanks for the replies.

~R

·
HIKE!
1,657 Posts
Gravity Dropper

www.gravitydropper.com

Get the remote model. Ti, Carbon, etc seatposts damping vibration is a bit of hooey. A fine and fun way to justify buying chi chi parts but your position on the bike, tire volume and pressure are going to do far more for you than frame material, or seatpost material. Get the Gravity Dropper, and tricky sections become child's play. Downhill control and speeds increase, it'll just plain make you a better rider.

Fro a bit of comfort get a suspension post from USE, Rock Shox, Thudbuster, etc.

But the Gravity Dropper is THE single best ATB upgrade going.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
THUDBUSTER

No other post is going to provide "comfort", especially a strong, rigid post like a Thomson (great posts though).

If you're going to go rigid you're going to have to rely on your saddle and tires to give you comfort.

·
Tree Hugger
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, aluminum is better than Ti.

There was an overwhelming number of people suggesting a Thomson post over anything else (Well, as overwhelming as a dozen responses can be). One person suggested a Ti post and there were a couple suggestions for etiher suspension posts or an adjustable one (which seems like a good idea).

Still, I am leaning towards a Ti post. Can someone explain why I am better off with the Thomson elite over say a Dean Ti post?

Thanks,

~Reed

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Ti...

I'm going to suggest a Ti post over the Thomson.

Having ridden on both, I prefer the feel of the Ti post. It has some nice flex that the Thomson doesn't have, and soaks up a little of the trail shock.

Ti posts are very light, and look great on the bike.

My vote goes for a Ti Moots or Blacksheep seatpost.

R.

·
Registered
512 Posts
My 0.02$.....

In order of preferance:

1st Moots Ti - straight laced for a more forward position with comfy flex
2nd Moots Ti - layed back for more relaxed position and even more comfy flex
3rd Thompson - a distant 3rd place but if I were forced to use Al - must be a Thompson

C

·
Registered
6,876 Posts
Reedster said:
Anyone going to recommend something besides a Thomson?
~R
Nope - Thomson, the best all round seat post out there!

Sorry if that's not much help, but I'm not aware of any Ti seat posts other than the Dean and Moots ones...

·
Registered
6,876 Posts
I've never seen the Black Sheep post, doe sanyone have any pictures or links please as I can't find it on their site either...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts