Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im just looking at replacing the standard seat post oin my giant yukon with an "amoeba" carbon one and was wondering if i would actually notice a significant difference in weight and/or shock?

Any help would be great :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I weigh about 70kg ( dont know what that is in pounds ) and mainly ride technical and intermediate level xc. Im not really into racing but thats always able to change.

I originally thought of getting a new seat post to go with a new seat. that way i could just use my old seat/seat post for stuffing around and the newer seat/seatpost for proper riding.

Thanks for the help anyway :)

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
Bob Jones said:
I weigh about 70kg ( dont know what that is in pounds ) and mainly ride technical and intermediate level xc. Im not really into racing but thats always able to change.

I originally thought of getting a new seat post to go with a new seat. that way i could just use my old seat/seat post for stuffing around and the newer seat/seatpost for proper riding.

Thanks for the help anyway :)
70kg = 154lbs
you shouldnt have any problems, but carbon can be problematic, you have to make sure there are no burs or nicks in the seat tube. you need to follow the manufacturers instructions excatly, as far as how far into the tube to have the post, and a torque wrench is essential. also if you crash, you need to carefully examine the entire post for cracking

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
InvictaS1 said:
you'll probably save a few ounces by going with a carbon post. just take care when installing your new post, you dont want to do anything that might damage it.
Thats why i was planning on keeping my old seat/ seat post combo so that if was going to riding that i thought would damage it i could just swap seat post.

By the way, why do you have to be so careful with carbon, i thought it was stronger then alloy/steel/whatever old seat post was made of?

thanks again

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Strong but fragile

Carbon is very strong and has a very long fatigue life BUT its fragile. What I mean by that is if you clamp it too hard or nick it, then it will develop a stress riser and the area damaged will fail prematurely. I like Carbon for bars, but not for mountain bike seatposts (I do use one for road...because I never move it) mainly because I raise and lower my seat depending on terrain. All that unclamping and sliding up or down (w/o grease BTW! No greasing carbon seatposts) and reclamping wears on the carbon and could easily damage it. If you want a light but super durable seatpost...Go Thompson and never worry about failure :thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.