Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
bikerbert
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 05 Trance, and my seatpost keeps slipping. I know the size is right (30.9), but it keeps slipping. I've tried a QR and a regular collar, but no luck.

It is wreaking havoc with my racing, because I have to constantly adjust the saddle on the fly. I know it is slipping because I can feel more in my quads, and when I take the measurements of the seat post ride, they are different.

I've got a set back Thompson Elite. This also happened with a RaceFace Deus post as well.

Any help I can get would be great!

THANKS!!!

·
May contain nuts
2,444 Posts
Wierd. One of the nice things about a Thomson is the knurling which means less clamping force is required to keep it in place. I adjust my post height while riding with one hand and it never moves, even with the stock Giant QR. What sort of grease are you using?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Excluding any equipment/component problems (which you should be able to spot quite easily), it definitely sounds to me that the clamp is not tight enough.

I don't think rigid posts are meant to be adjusted on the fly ... so if you can easily adjust it you are either a magician (Merlin himself if no QR clamp), or not doing a very efficient job and leaving it prone to slippage.

If using a QR you should be able to feel decent resistance when closing it with your hand ... not enough to leave a mark, mind you, but definitely some pressure to it. With a basic clamp it is more difficult to tell, but don't worry too much, aluminum posts can withstand quite a bit of clamping force.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.