Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Seat or Saddle?

1993 Views 46 Replies 29 Participants Last post by  GDubT
I was told by a former co-worker (I was laid off in Dec) who races that its a saddle, not a seat. He was very adamant about it, and also an opinionated Dick - such as 29ers aren't real mtbs because the first mtbs had 26ers. They also didn't have suspension, disc brakes, etc..... Anyway, as I've been getting back into riding after years off I've been brushing up on the new stuff through this awesome site and magazines. I noticed that "saddle" is used, but that a seat post is not called a saddle post. I prefer "seat", I feel like a dork saying saddle. I know it doesn't really matter, but which one do you use?
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
i lean more towards seat. Why else is it called a seat post? its called not a saddle post.
a$500 Brooks is a [email protected]#ken' saddle. a $10 walmart snoopy seat is a seat
It's you're money so call it what you want.
Well this is what I found on Wikipedia,

A bicycle saddle, often called a seat,[1] is one of three contact points on an upright bicycle, the others being the pedals and the handlebars. The bicycle saddle has been known as such since the bicycle evolved from the draisine, a forerunner of the bicycle.[citation needed] It performs a similar role as a horse's saddle, not bearing all the weight of the rider as the other contact points also take some of the load.

A bicycle saddle is commonly attached to the seatpost and the height of the saddle can usually be adjusted by the seatpost telescoping in and out of the seat tube.
zkrazy said:
I was told by a former co-worker (I was laid off in Dec) who races that its a saddle, not a seat. He was very adamant about it, and also an opinionated Dick - such as 29ers aren't real mtbs because the first mtbs had 26ers. They also didn't have suspension, disc brakes, etc..... Anyway, as I've been getting back into riding after years off I've been brushing up on the new stuff through this awesome site and magazines. I noticed that "saddle" is used, but that a seat post is not called a saddle post. I prefer "seat", I feel like a dork saying saddle. I know it doesn't really matter, but which one do you use?
Both.

And some of the first mtbs used 650B wheels.
A saddle is a seat. You can call it either one.
bicycle saddle is a seat that is narrow
bicycle seat is something that support most of your behind
I frikkin' have no idea what sputters forth out on the side of the trail when i talk about it.

Maybe I will remember to make a concious effort to store away in memory what I call it. Whether I have a preference or whether I use both.

Or not.
dude it's a butt _____. or in my case it's a ball _____. thank you sir may i have another.
That's a top secret prototype , not for release until 12/22/12 .
LOL! I thought it was a humorous question but I didn't think it would be that funny. Those last two a too much, friggin hilarious.
AZ.MTNS said:
That's a top secret prototype , not for release until 12/22/12 .
ah! I knew there was a giant exclamation point scribed on my calender on that date for some reason :idea:
Recumbents have seats.

Bicycles have saddles.
powpig2002 said:
a$500 Brooks is a [email protected]#ken' saddle. a $10 walmart snoopy seat is a seat
For that kind of money, I'd call it any damned thing I want.:D

I usually just call it whichever word pops into my head first, though I might be more inclined to call it a saddle if it's made of leather.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top