Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told by a former co-worker (I was laid off in Dec) who races that its a saddle, not a seat. He was very adamant about it, and also an opinionated Dick - such as 29ers aren't real mtbs because the first mtbs had 26ers. They also didn't have suspension, disc brakes, etc..... Anyway, as I've been getting back into riding after years off I've been brushing up on the new stuff through this awesome site and magazines. I noticed that "saddle" is used, but that a seat post is not called a saddle post. I prefer "seat", I feel like a dork saying saddle. I know it doesn't really matter, but which one do you use?

·
DynoDon
1,666 Posts
Well this is what I found on Wikipedia,

A bicycle saddle, often called a seat,[1] is one of three contact points on an upright bicycle, the others being the pedals and the handlebars. The bicycle saddle has been known as such since the bicycle evolved from the draisine, a forerunner of the bicycle.[citation needed] It performs a similar role as a horse's saddle, not bearing all the weight of the rider as the other contact points also take some of the load.

A bicycle saddle is commonly attached to the seatpost and the height of the saddle can usually be adjusted by the seatpost telescoping in and out of the seat tube.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
zkrazy said:
I was told by a former co-worker (I was laid off in Dec) who races that its a saddle, not a seat. He was very adamant about it, and also an opinionated Dick - such as 29ers aren't real mtbs because the first mtbs had 26ers. They also didn't have suspension, disc brakes, etc..... Anyway, as I've been getting back into riding after years off I've been brushing up on the new stuff through this awesome site and magazines. I noticed that "saddle" is used, but that a seat post is not called a saddle post. I prefer "seat", I feel like a dork saying saddle. I know it doesn't really matter, but which one do you use?
Both.

And some of the first mtbs used 650B wheels.

·
ventanakaz
294 Posts
dude it's a butt _____. or in my case it's a ball _____. thank you sir may i have another.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
That's a top secret prototype , not for release until 12/22/12 .

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LOL! I thought it was a humorous question but I didn't think it would be that funny. Those last two a too much, friggin hilarious.

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
AZ.MTNS said:
That's a top secret prototype , not for release until 12/22/12 .
ah! I knew there was a giant exclamation point scribed on my calender on that date for some reason :idea:

·
Registered
190 Posts
powpig2002 said:
a$500 Brooks is a [email protected]#ken' saddle. a $10 walmart snoopy seat is a seat
For that kind of money, I'd call it any damned thing I want.:D

I usually just call it whichever word pops into my head first, though I might be more inclined to call it a saddle if it's made of leather.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts