Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there building up a cross bike, and it doesnt have a rear cable stop. I have the little one that goes onto a standard seat collar using the bolt. But i dont like how the cable has to wrap around the post to get to the center where the stop is.

At a cross race last year, i saw a guy with a cable stop that was attached to the side of his collar which looked really cool. I dont remember what kind of bike it was....can anybody point me in the right direction?

I've searched all over the net.

thnx
jeremyb

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
jeremyb said:
hey there building up a cross bike, and it doesnt have a rear cable stop. I have the little one that goes onto a standard seat collar using the bolt. But i dont like how the cable has to wrap around the post to get to the center where the stop is.

At a cross race last year, i saw a guy with a cable stop that was attached to the side of his collar which looked really cool. I dont remember what kind of bike it was....can anybody point me in the right direction?

I've searched all over the net.

thnx
jeremyb
Go to your LBS. Any good shop that has been around for a while is going to have a drawer full of parts that will fix you up.

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
Drevil said:
Was it this?

Nevermind, that's probably the same thing you have now. (That's what came with my Constrictor seat clamp on my CrossCheck.)

I think you are talking about something that used to come on old Konas, back before V-brakes. It was basically a collar with a noodle. However, I don't think these ones did the seatpost tightening duty. They sat a few inches lower than the seat collar, and it's only purpose was to route the cable. Maybe you'll have better luck on the retro board?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
several styles available

Firstly, it's not a problem to have the cable housing loop around the seatpost cluster on its way to a cable hanger, just don't make the bend in the housing too sharp and it'll be fine. That's how it's done.
The kind pictured that goes in the center of the clamp requires a clamp with a wide enough gap in the center to accommodate it. Not all clamps have this gap. I have the style pictured on my Obed. It's not my favorite because the hanger is free to pivot and the tension of the cable housing tries to rotate it upward from the preferred position of pointing directly at the brake's straddle hanger. So if you run your brake springs on the light side as I do, this movement takes up some of the slack in the brake cable that would otherwise be available for the pads to open wider on the rim. For cross you'd probably want strong snappy spring tension so this might be a non-issue. Some of the ones of the style pictured have a little foot that braces them against the backside of the seat tube, right at the slot. Others don't.
Another style of hanger is a V shape that attaches at both sides of the clamp, with the apex of the V, where the cable joins, pointing down to the straddle hanger. Wth this style, the seat bolt holds the hanger so it doesn't move. But to use this style you need a bolt that protrudes out of the seatpost clamp at both ends, like the Control Tech style bolt. A clamp that recesses the bolt head into the clamp won't work. I personally think this V style looks the most sano.
The third style attaches like the above V style, between the bolt head and the clamp, but only at one end, is steel so it doesn't flex, and kinda curves inward so it centers the housing and points it right at the straddle cable. Sometimes this style comes with a quick release lever(!). It was originally used on old road bikes that came with centerpull brakes, thus the quick release.
When I find old discarded bikes in the trash, I always mine them for little parts like hangers, clampon cable guides, etc. even if the rest of the bike is useless to me. Surprising how often a 40-year-old road part fills a need. Just built up a towner scorcher fixed gear with a Mafac Racer centerpull front brake that I found on an ancient frame in the trash bin outside the LBS. They kinda laughed at me when I borrowed a 10mm wrench to remove the brakes.

www.thirdhand.com, or is it www.loosescrews.com, same place, forget which name is current, used to stock every variety mentioned above. then they pared down their inventory, but still worth checking. or like the guy said, if your LBS has been around for a few decades, there's likely a dusty drawer full of this kinda stuff in there somewhere.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is this the V type you were mentioning?

I cant see how it holds the cable. THe end with the holes attaches to the seat clamp and then what does the pointy end do?

thnx
jeremyb

1 - 6 of 6 Posts