Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Gone riding
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m currently rebuilding my hardtail, and have decided to ditch the WTB Rocket V for something lighter and more comfortable.

This bike will be mostly used for XC racing, but will also see many longer 4, 6 and 12 hour Enduros, and hopefully even a couple of multi-day events. I will also be doing some serious trail rides on this bike from time to time.

I weigh 70kg, am pretty young, and have been riding a rigid SS for the last 6 months, so I can put up with a harsher ride. :D

It’s not so much that I find the WTB unbearable, but I just feel like a change. I seem to sit a bit further back on the seat then I probably should, regardless of where I position the seat. If I sit where I should I feel like the seat is a little too curved, and it feels like I’m sitting in a hole.

Not painful, and I’d still quite happily ride all day on it, but it just doesn’t quite feel right.

Unfortunately I haven’t had much experience on other seats, so making a decision has been a little tricky. Saving weight is high on my list, but I don’t want to sacrifice comfort too much.

Something narrower then my WTB seems to be obvious to me at the moment, as does a slightly flatter seat. From the brief ride on the two seats mentioned below, I’m sure I could put up with a lighter seats abuse without problems.

What’s worse is that I’m in a hurry to get the bike built before a 4-day race I have entered, and I can’t see myself being able to ride too many other seats to try before hand.

My Current choices:

Selle Italia SLR
(Have ridden a grand total of 200 meters on one, nice and flat.)

Fizik Gobi Wing Flex
(No Idea. Reviews make me wonder if it will feel like my WTB??)

Selle San Marco Aspide FX
(Carpark ride was OK, but I can get a good ride on one this week.)

Any thoughts?? Anything else from the Selle Italia or Selle San Marco ranges worth a look??

Cheers, Dave.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Fizik Arione: I have one on my roadie- and it is increadably comfortable is similar shape to the SLR, but alot more comfortable.

SLR: I use an SLR on the MTB, it's quiet flexy, which makes it quiet comfortable on an MTB.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Low_Rider said:
have decided to ditch the WTB Rocket V for something lighter and more comfortable.
2 years ago I had a deal inked with WTB. I had the Rocket V on one bike and the Stealth on the other. Both are quality saddles and work well. But....they didn't fit my bum like my saddle of choice. The years leading up to the WTB deal and currently I have gone back to my personal saddle of choice the Fizik Nisene. I am a big fan of flat saddles....which the WTB are not. I can/have raced on them, but they are just not that comfy to me. The Fizik mtb style saddles (Nisene and Gobi) are flat and offer me a lot of comfort.

Keep in mind saddle choice is very personal. I work in a shop environment and the hardest question to answer from a consumer is...."Which seat is more comfortable?" Everyone is different. It's going to come down to trial-n-error to find that "magical" saddle.

Attachments

·
Category Winner
6,130 Posts
My current choice

My first one made it through one year of riding before being moved over to my messenger bike. It is pretty darn comfortable, reasonably priced, and durable. 12's, 24's, Trans Rockies, you name it. I spent a lot of hours on the MC Lite and the best thing I can say is I never thought about my saddle. I just put a new one on my Dean last week.

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
thanks guys

This is freakin hilarious as I'm just going through a saddle changover as I speak.I have no saddle of preference and over my 11 years of racing I've sat on many many saddles but never found the golden one.
I just ordered a new pearch from Paddy at olympia and it's a wtb shadow v psl.I'm not sure how it'll feel as there is nothing to tryout but I do like a flat wide saddle and it seems to be the case there.
In the past my two favorite saddles have been the selle italia TT as recomended by PaddyH.That saddle was so good for me that I rode three 24 hour races in less than two months and had no issues at all. Keep in mind that I never change my shorts during a race,that's how welll that saddle worked for me.
The next saddle has been on it's share of longer stuff but mostly on regular 2 hour mtb races.what is it you say?Well it's the old school SDG comp ti.Very flat about 200grams (that's the limit for me boys .. 200g) and an indestructable kevlar top.
Now your most likely thinking ,why doesn't he just buy one of those again?
Well it has to do with the fact that I love gear and like to try new things out to see what else is going on.So keep sending those saddle breakdowns I appreciate all the info I can get.
Dallas
"the night time is my time."

·
Gone riding
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jeff said:
Keep in mind saddle choice is very personal. I work in a shop environment and the hardest question to answer from a consumer is...."Which seat is more comfortable?" Everyone is different. It's going to come down to trial-n-error to find that "magical" saddle.
Yeah for sure, the other day I was trying to decide if I should even make this post. Saddles that some people love I can hardly sit on, while some I can ride no problems others wonder how...

Everyone's bums are different!! :D

Jeff, you mention that you feel that the Gobi is flat compared to the Rocket V, most of the reviews I've read of the Gobi make me think they're pretty similar. Most reviewers make them sound like you sit in the middle of a big curve...

I might try a Gobi later down the track, but for now I think it will be between the Selle San Marco Aspide, and the SLR. I can get a ride on the Aspide this week, which is handy as I really need to make a decision soon!! :D

Thanks all for you input.

Cheers, Dave.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Low_Rider said:
Jeff, you mention that you feel that the Gobi is flat compared to the Rocket V, most of the reviews I've read of the Gobi make me think they're pretty similar. Most reviewers make them sound like you sit in the middle of a big curve...
The Gobi is flatter than the WTB Rocket V. But, you are right, they both have a curve/dip in the middle. I am not a fan of the WTB because the dip is so severe. :eek:

·
Read Only
950 Posts
If you like Selle Italia...

You should consider a Flite Ti. This saddle has worked well for me over many years, and several longer events. It isn't as flat as an SLR, but no where near as "saddled" as a WTB. Flite saddles are not the latest, greatest, or sexiest, but they work for me. Good luck with your choice.

·
Tribe Member
873 Posts
I ride this one.....

I love my saddle. It has the right amount of flex, light weight and has held up well in a couple of crashes.

This saddle is not for everyone though....

Good luck

Rich

Attachments

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have SLR's on all my bikes. I have one that I got second-hand about four years ago. It has lost its leather cover, but is still in front line service on my main bike. I have a newer SLR on my backup bike and an SLR XP on my road bike.

It it fits your rear, it is a great seat. I use it for 8, 12, and 24 hour events.

Joe

Low_Rider said:
I'm currently rebuilding my hardtail, and have decided to ditch the WTB Rocket V for something lighter and more comfortable.

This bike will be mostly used for XC racing, but will also see many longer 4, 6 and 12 hour Enduros, and hopefully even a couple of multi-day events. I will also be doing some serious trail rides on this bike from time to time.

I weigh 70kg, am pretty young, and have been riding a rigid SS for the last 6 months, so I can put up with a harsher ride. :D

It's not so much that I find the WTB unbearable, but I just feel like a change. I seem to sit a bit further back on the seat then I probably should, regardless of where I position the seat. If I sit where I should I feel like the seat is a little too curved, and it feels like I'm sitting in a hole.

Not painful, and I'd still quite happily ride all day on it, but it just doesn't quite feel right.

Unfortunately I haven't had much experience on other seats, so making a decision has been a little tricky. Saving weight is high on my list, but I don't want to sacrifice comfort too much.

Something narrower then my WTB seems to be obvious to me at the moment, as does a slightly flatter seat. From the brief ride on the two seats mentioned below, I'm sure I could put up with a lighter seats abuse without problems.

What's worse is that I'm in a hurry to get the bike built before a 4-day race I have entered, and I can't see myself being able to ride too many other seats to try before hand.

My Current choices:

Selle Italia SLR
(Have ridden a grand total of 200 meters on one, nice and flat.)

Fizik Gobi Wing Flex
(No Idea. Reviews make me wonder if it will feel like my WTB??)

Selle San Marco Aspide FX
(Carpark ride was OK, but I can get a good ride on one this week.)

Any thoughts?? Anything else from the Selle Italia or Selle San Marco ranges worth a look??

Cheers, Dave.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I second the Nisine as one option. Also Selle Italia has one meant for triathalons w/ a wider nose. It is VERY pronounced, so you will know which one I am speaking of if you see it. If you do much tech climbing during your endurance events requiring being perched on the nose, then that is a welcome thing. Finally, there is a LOT of buzz on the RBR forums about some of the offerings from Koobi. I would be happy to take the WTB off of your hands if it will end up in a junk pile. I have heard great things about the rocket series. My old SST is heavy, but I can pedal on it all day with little complaint.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.