Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

So I'm really just wanting to sound out here. I've been doing homework for a new bike for the past few weeks. I was recently diagnosed with moderate arthritis in my lower back along with a bulging disk. A cortisone shot has brought me back to about 90% and I'm riding again, and with less pain than ever, thankfully! I'm reflecting now on how to make the best of my riding from here on out and I've decided that I have a really great excuse to invest in a new bike. One more comfortable than what i have now. One I will hopefully hold onto for years to come.

My current CX is a 2013 Fuji Cross purchased from performance. It's SRAM Rival and equipped with Hayes disc brakes. It has served me well, but rides a little harsh so I'm seeking to change things up.

I like steel. I have two steel mtn bikes. A Reynolds 853 framed single speed and a Soma B-Side that I built myself last year.

I really liked building my Soma and I would prefer to build my next CX ride. I'm having a hard time finding a frame that fits all my criteria. I'm looking for steel, disc, 44mm headtube, threaded BB, and I would prefer for no cables to run under the BB (i.e. top swing front dérailleur). Oh, and $1200 cap for frame and fork.

If Soma would wake up and change the headtude for the Double Cross to a 44mm then I would happily support their brand, again.

I thought the Macho King was a great find but no framesets are available, plus I read the dropouts of that Whiskey fork are no good.

I'm looking at the Milwaukee Cycles Mettle. The geo seems a little wonky to me on that one. Plus, not a lot of info on it out there...

I like the Transition Rapture/Traitor Crusade, but do not want a steel fork and hate having to buy the frameset with a fork that I will not use. I'd also like a little better steel tubing and know those rear dropouts are adding needless weight and I will likely not try to run the bike as a SS.

If I settle for a 1 1/8 headtube then I will just go with the Soma. I'm just stuck on wanting either a tapered or 44mm headtube...

My plan is to make my Fuji drivetrain and brakes donor parts for my new build.

Anyway, just wanted to throw some thoughts out there. Feel free to respond with your own thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks in advance-

J.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
I thought the Macho King was a great find but no framesets are available, plus I read the dropouts of that Whiskey fork are no good.
J.
What exactly is wrong with the Whisky fork dropouts? I have two, and they are great.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What exactly is wrong with the Whisky fork dropouts? I have two, and they are great.
Hello. I read from two different places that the dropouts are vertical and that lends to the axles shifting in the dropouts under hard braking. Apparently, other forks have the dropouts angled slightly to offset this.

I must say that the dropouts on my Fuji fork are vertical. I had a problem with some shifting occurring when I first got the bike, but after fidgeting with the quick release a little, I have not had the problem since. Perhaps should not have mentioned it, but it was a negative listed against the frameset from more than one source. $1200 is a lot of money for me to spend on a frame so I probably gave that more weight than I normally would have.

In all honestly, I called All City and spoke with them the other day and did get confirmation that the Macho King will be around for another run. I'm going to try to see what changes are made in the frameset, if any, and will potentially order off the new run.

I do love 853 frames. I also looked at the Twin6 853 frames that are coming out but decided that was not the frame for me to buy. I also tried like hell to get my hands on a Genesis Fugio frame which is 853, but they do not have a distributor in the US and no major sites (that I could find) sell them in the UK. Every online seller that I reached out to ended up not being very responsive to my attempts...

·
Registered
690 Posts
Have you considered a Gunnar Hyper X? Looks like that might fit your needs (except for the cable routing), and I believe you can get custom colors. A buddy of mine used to have one of their frames (Cross Hairs), and it was pretty sweet!

Gunnar Cycles USA ? Hyper-X Disc Cross hand-built bicycle frames

BTW...the 853 Twin Six frames will not be out until Spring 2016. They're releasing the Ti frames next week.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Have you considered a Gunnar Hyper X? Looks like that might fit your needs (except for the cable routing), and I believe you can get custom colors. A buddy of mine used to have one of their frames (Cross Hairs), and it was pretty sweet!

Gunnar Cycles USA ? Hyper-X Disc Cross hand-built bicycle frames

BTW...the 853 Twin Six frames will not be out until Spring 2016. They're releasing the Ti frames next week.
Hi there. Thank you for thhe input. Yeah, I looked at the Gunnar frames. They are just a little too far out of my price range. I love the Twin6, except for the BB. I really want threaded...

I'm looking at the Milwaukee Cycles Mettle, again. I need to take some measurements and do some more figuring on that. I'm also thinking about just waiting for the new model Macho King to come out. All City did tell me they were dong another run.

I may also take some time to really think about what I want my budget to be. I've got a lot of little things that i would like that add up to a hard to find bike. Gotta make some concessions somewhere...

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This came to mind reading your description, but just a bit over your budget.

The Paycheck | Wraith Fabrication
Hey, it's funny you mentioned this bike. I ran across it looking at Google images of the Milwaukee Mettle. Sad to say, but I think that bike would be a little small for me in thier largest size. My Fuji is a 58 and all of it's numbers add up to a bigger frame than the Wraith. I actually think I could have went up a size on the Fuji, but it does fit me well and I at least have a baseline to go off of with it.

Other than the paint and the dimensions, I really like the Wraith! If they had a 59 then things would probably be spot on for me. The cable routing is exactly where I want it to be, right BB, headtube, etc...

I did a lot of riding this long weekend. Enjoyed my Soma B-Side (even though it did make me run into a tree! LOL) and got out for two road rides and a light trail with my Fuji. I'm stepping back from my search and trying not to obsess about it so much, which I tend to do. The right bike will come. All City told me the new Macho King would be out around July. I'm interested to see if they made any significant changes to it other than paint. Maybe I will try for that or pick something else.

Looking at your signature, I wish Kona still made the Honky Inc. I really like the looks of that bike although I would wish for a little better tubeset. I let one slip through my hands on Ebay a few months ago. I wasn't able/ready to buy at the time and have regretted passing it up since...

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
is saving up a little more cash an option for you to go with a custom frame??
Yeah, that's a possibility. I set my budget by what I 'think' I deserve to spend or should spend on a bike, so maybe I just need to really think about that. Or, like I said earlier, start thinking of some compromises. The cable routing really just is a preference. I don't personally get having the cables run underneath the bike on a 'cross bike. Seems weird to me for a road bike, as well, considering all the crude that gets kicked up onto that area. Obviously, the majority do not have a problem with it. The 44mm headtube and threaded BB are the more important things to me...

·
Registered
459 Posts
transition rapture.

most fun I've ever had on a cross bike. Held up to more abuse than a cross bike should be expected to.
I didn't use the included fork, but mounted an enve one. Running mtb wheels with a 42mm front tire up front, and a 33mm tubeless rear. Is it light? not really. Is it heavy? not really. Does it ride as nice as my old gunnar sport? yes. Actually better in technical stuff. Not sure why one would go custom when stuff like this is available off the shelf, and I think they are having a sale right on them now too. Pure smiles!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
transition rapture.

most fun I've ever had on a cross bike. Held up to more abuse than a cross bike should be expected to.
I didn't use the included fork, but mounted an enve one. Running mtb wheels with a 42mm front tire up front, and a 33mm tubeless rear. Is it light? not really. Is it heavy? not really. Does it ride as nice as my old gunnar sport? yes. Actually better in technical stuff. Not sure why one would go custom when stuff like this is available off the shelf, and I think they are having a sale right on them now too. Pure smiles!
Thanks for the info. You're right, they are on sale and it was enough to tip the scales! I didn't think I had a Transition dealer in my immediate area, but I found that one of my local bike shops is listed through their dealer locater and called them up. Price is right, deposit is paid, should have my frame in two weeks. LBS said Transition told them they were slammed with orders right now, but my size and color was still available. Sweet. Thanks again for the lead!

So, there are some compromises in this decision, but I'm very good with it since I do get the HT and BB I want. I like the color combo, too! Can't wait to see it in person.

J.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Transition is really slammed since a lot of their 2015/16 is FIRE. Not only are the Enduro style bikes selling but their cyclo-cross line will definitely be popular this year.

You're gonna love that frame, let us know once its built!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts