Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi,

I'm searching for my new "old" Brodie bike project an IRD seatpost in 27.0 diameter in black. Second, I'm searching also IRD "Switchback" type brakes in black or silver, first or second generation or Grafton brakes in these colors.

Thanks in forward for your offers :)

Best regards

Sebastian

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

Brodie Expresso's and Sovereign used 27.0 seatposts.

to bushpig;

what diameters did you have of these IRD posts in black? - Perhaps, I could used one with 26,8 or 27,2. :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
sebastian73 said:
Hi,

Brodie Expresso's and Sovereign used 27.0 seatposts.
That's not quite accurate. Brodie used 26.8, 27.0 and 27.2 in the steel bikes, but most of the high end ones used 27.2. All three Sovereigns I've had (first one from the year it replaced the Romax) have had 27.2. I'm pretty sure the eXpresso used 27.2, as its predecessor, the Catalyst, used 27.2 and they didn't spec heavier guage tubes in the newer bikes.

Oh, and everyone wants an IRD Rotary brake. Maybe we should get some made...

·
VRC Hound
4,275 Posts
Its the same Romax. I have a bunch of bikes in storage that are being delivered to me. A lot of cool stuff. There will be pictures. Indeed, there is an off-chance that the stuff will include an IRD Progressive and an IRD Rotary, but I am not getting my hopes up. I had a few of each, but I worry they were distributed away over time.

I wonder how many Rotary brakes we would need to make to make it feasible. There are a lot of strange bits, so I imagine that the run would need to be fairly large.

·
Registered
198 Posts
My late 1988 climbMax (uses 1989 tubing) uses a 27.0 seatpost. I expect that the catlyst and romax of that year would also as they all use the same seat tube (tange concept)

Looking back, i wish I had spent the extra money for the romax, instead of custom paint, brazeons and top tube.

·
bike weenie
589 Posts
Switchbacks were a huge pain in the rear to setup IMO, why go back there? Grafton was the best old school brake (again IMO). In any event - the new longer throw levers would probably drastically improve the IRDs.

I'm pretty sure I still have a set of black switchbacks in the basement somewhere, and a set of purple widgets. Between the pair, I likely have enough hardware for one set...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
to RWGreen

Did you find a set of these Switchback brakes in your basement?

If I don't find some of these IRD cantis, I will install the Graftons SC in black on my Sovereign, because I still own also a pair of the Re-Entry brake levers.

This Sovereign will use a 27.0 seatpost. At most I search a black seatpost of IRD. Second possibility was a Syncros post.

Perhaps, someone could offer me a seatpost in black or the titanium one from Syncros with this diameter?

Additionally I'm missing also a threaded black King headset in 1 1/8 inch. All other parts I still have to build up my frame.

in advance best thanks for your offers

Friendly greetings :)

Sebastian

·
VRC Illuminati
17,654 Posts
sebastian73 said:
in advance best thanks for your offers

Friendly greetings :)

Sebastian
In addition Sebastian...lets keep the 'wanted ads' to a minimum. Technically it's against forum rules. The occasional 'in search of' posts I try to let slide...but laundry lists and discussion of offers and money changes things a bit. Gracias.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.