Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Running full length housings from my sd7s to my bb7s. Instructions say to use the conventional (im assuming means open?) for the ends (caliper and lever) and the sealed if I wasn't running a continuous housing and had breaks in the housing ala cable stops. With all the muddy riding here in florida I wanted to use the sealed instead thinking it would help keep more of the dirt/grime out. I had remembered reading somewhere tha using the sealed caused issues with spring back on the bb7s, but I wasn't positive.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Personally, I don't run sealed ferrules. The caliper itself gives some protection, and the way you route the housing, and how you finish the housings off at the end has much more to do with it's smoothness than the few cm's that get contaminated at the end.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Agree with the General. My experience with sealed has been that the rubber grommet or sleeve adds excessive friction and spoils the smooth action at the lever.

I don't ride in horribly sloppy conditions but I'd suggest you give non-sealed a try and wait to see if any contamination issues develop.

·
Official ***** Idiot
333 Posts
You're running full length housing. You only need the sealed ferrules on the top or down tube (depending on your cable routing) at the cable stops. Your housing should be sitting right on the caliper, so no need for sealed ends. I've never had a problem (original Avid BB's) and you haven't seen mud until you ride in Vermont after a three foot frost line melts out of the clay we call dirt here.

·
Underskilled
4,816 Posts
We have real mud in the UK, the two products I use are a life saver.

Powercordz, these cables are made of kevlar, they never stretch and they never wear out.
They are completely smooth on the outside so run with negligible friction in full length housing.
In addition mud does not stick to them (do not lube these cables!!!)

The second one is a waterproofing kit, it basically fills the gaps in normal housing with plastic tube. large enough not to touch the cable (no drag), but keeps water out.
cant remember the manufacturer, sold by wiggle

·
Official ***** Idiot
333 Posts
CaveGiant said:
We have real mud in the UK, the two products I use are a life saver.

Powercordz, these cables are made of kevlar, they never stretch and they never wear out.
They are completely smooth on the outside so run with negligible friction in full length housing.
In addition mud does not stick to them (do not lube these cables!!!)

The second one is a waterproofing kit, it basically fills the gaps in normal housing with plastic tube. large enough not to touch the cable (no drag), but keeps water out.
cant remember the manufacturer, sold by wiggle
Red tube? Probably Avid Flak Jackets. I use those for my derailleur cables. Technically for my brakes, but I run full housing there, so no tube. But yeah, those work if you have split housing runs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.