Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out in the snow and mud and came back with a bike encapsulated with a mix of dirt, sand, and ice. In fact, everything you can see in the pics was hard as ice, including the dirt. FD froze up solid while the rear became sluggish. Who knew a few nighttime stream crossings and a wet trail would do this? On the flip side, notice how clean my chain is?

I heard of some horror stories of some other well known brands having failed bearings or shortened life in these very conditions. While riding this stuff, I was happy I had the sealed bushings. The water has a high sediment content that is in the slurry out here, so the liquid will get into bearings, dry, then leave the silica behind.

Attachments

·
Never enough time to ride
1,575 Posts
Wow, that's some nasty mud. I think I would still consider cleaning out the pivots after a ride like that. Seals work well, but I have never seen a perfect seal. Just a thought.

And am I seeing things or is the rear end of that bike blue??

happy trails...

squish

·
1,316 Posts
Thats right fess up!

Allright Jerk, did you clean your chain after the ride??? Dont Lie!

If not, please be so kind and tell us what chain lube you are using just like stib asked. CIome on, we're askin nice like.... ;)

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
It's not straight mud. Out here we have a rich mix of sand and mud=even worse. The significant thing is you're seeing ice with the sand and mud frozen inside.

I almost never clean my chains. I use Pedro's Ice Wax and that's it. I couldn't believe my chain was cleaner coming out than when it went in. The trail was full of standing water, hundreds of feet of it at a time, and stream crossings, so it did a nice job of rinsing the chain while I was pedaling, I guess.

Attachments

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
I've never found contamination in my pivots...

squish said:
I would still consider cleaning out the pivots after a ride like that. ...Seals work well, but I have never seen a perfect seal. Just a thought.
Squish is right, nothing's perfect, but IMO if you're worried, just add a little more grease a little more often and you should be fine.

I've found my pivots tend to be a positive flow arrangement. As long as there's sufficient grease in them, the grease only migrates in the outward direction. Nothing can enter b/c the grease is always pushing out. There is the risk of voids, if the pivot runs out of grease. If that happens air, water, and dirt can work it's way back in. Still the easiest way to deal with voids and backflow is to pump in more grease. It will push the air and water back out.(the purge is usually a gradual process though) Note all this means nothing if the pivot gets severly contaminated but I think that would take a great deal of neglect.

But If anyone has put the pivot seals to the test Tscheezy has, he can correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No worries here. I've ridden like this for a couple years and the pivots stayed clean inside. I agree about keeping them full. It does work very well. See, mud isn't so bad, but it's when you have suspended particles in a thin slurry that becomes a problem. Turner bushings have always come out fine, but I've had experience with bearings that haven't.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.