Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,

I have a new set of wheels, Hope ProII laced to stans olympics. I've got them set up tubeless with Maxxis crossmark eXceptions and a mixture of 2/3 stans to 1/3 tubeless slime.

When I spin the front wheel, it sounds like there is a solid lump of rubber bouncing around in the tire. It's sealed up ok (ie loses 2-3psi per week) and has warded off a thorn hole. I don't want to break the seal on it to retrieve the lump, but will it affect the remaining liquid goo?

Anyone else had this?

cheers,

c

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
how long has the sealant been in there? it may be completely dried up and time to add more anyway (you need to add sealant every 2-3 months). but those balls can form if something is in the tire with the sealant it seems, then you get a ball of latex over time.

open it up and take it out and check on you sealant.

and I agree, don't bother mixing, just use the stans sealant, it works.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I put the mix in as there are larger rubber chunks in the slime, and seals up larger holes. The sealant has only been in there 1 month, so i didn't think it'll dry up this soon. I may just bite the bullet and take off the tire and remove the ball and use straight stans.

thanks for the input.

c

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, compressed air from the servo. Reading the thread on 'best brews', people raved about the stans/slime mix saying it lasted longer. guess not in my case.

live and learn...

c

·
Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
1,214 Posts
I use the stans/slime mix and love it! If you spin the wheel really quick from a standstill, centrifugal force may hold it in one spot inside the wheel. You will never be able to accelerate a wheel this quickly on a trail. Slime is a thicker, more viscous fluid than Stans (closer to a gel-while Stans looks like Milk) and will not spread out as quickly around the tire as Stans. I add Slime as it does not seem to dry out as fast.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.