Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just walked in to my garage and noticed my stans sealant seeping through my rear tire sidewall on both sides. Sealant is coming through in a diagonal pattern which seems to follow the diagonal markings along the tire itself. Specialized fast track control 2.1 tire. Why would this be happening? I don't lose pressure and this is the first time I've noticed this issue. I'm going to try to post some pics but I'm using my phone and it doesn't usually let me put pics up.

Attachments

·
ride ride ride
14 Posts
Sidewall damage – it might be caused by riding underpressured tire or flat tire (for short time after puncture).

·
Registered
439 Posts
Only common on a (slightly) damaged sidewall. As above poster said, looks like the wall got scrubbed or ridden on a bit. The sealant should take care of it -- just keep an eye on tire pressure.

·
RAKC
7,606 Posts
That's normal on new tires as well. If you go really light weight tires, it's the norm. If the tires aren't TLR/UST it happens every time. Has nothing to do with sidewall damage.

It does get worse with higher pressures.

It's really noticeable if bike is stored somewhere that's not climate controlled when humidity gets really high like a rainy day.

What I'm seeing in the pic, no sidewall damage, nothing out of the normal. I see this all the time on my bikes after it spends a day raining.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It has been raining for about a week straight and the bike sits in my non climate controlled garage. Makes sense

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's normal on new tires as well. If you go really light weight tires, it's the norm. If the tires aren't TLR/UST it happens every time. Has nothing to do with sidewall damage.

It does get worse with higher pressures.

It's really noticeable if bike is stored somewhere that's not climate controlled when humidity gets really high like a rainy day.

What I'm seeing in the pic, no sidewall damage, nothing out of the normal. I see this all the time on my bikes after it spends a day raining.
i've read a few comments around the site with respect to seepage on new tires and it seems keeping PSI in check helps to avoid this yes??

·
RAKC
7,606 Posts
It helps but doesn't solve it. You have to choose:

Light weight tires
Or heavier tires with thicker sidewalls.

My fat bike doesn't seep at all for reference.

It doesn't hurt anything, the air loss is very minimal.

And it's not a "fault" of the tire. Market doesn't get the fact you can't have every detail they want and be light weight. So have to decide if that little seepage is that big of an issue.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,277 Posts
Sidewall damage - it might be caused by riding underpressured tire or flat tire (for short time after puncture).
not necessarily

Is this common with tubeless??
yes

If you go really light weight tires, it's the norm. If the tires aren't TLR/UST it happens every time. Has nothing to do with sidewall damage.

I've mounted a dozen (?) non tubeless tires from 40mm to 5" and none of them have weeped from the sidewalls. so, not every time.

conversely, my Conti MTN King 2.4 Protection (tubeless ready) on the front of my hardtail is two years old and coming off this week. the sidewalls are worn from rubbing and grazing roots and rocks for two years. the rubber is pretty much worn off and the chords are showing. it also weeps more now than any other tire I've ever seen. and that's after being sealed for two years by sealant. they're constantly wet, but there is very little pressure lost over the course of 4-5 days, maybe a couple pounds.

I've never noticed that my sidewalls weep more or less based on the humidity. can't say that i pay too close of attention to that, in my experience they either weep or don't.

You have to choose:Light weight tires
Or heavier tires with thicker sidewalls.
eh, i don't know about that, though there is little choice for me at 210 lbs. i'm pretty much stuck with sturdy casings.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,277 Posts
got it thanks.
your not actually considering loosing your tubes are you? have you seen the light?

after your frequent comments about your deeply engrained passion for tubes in the past week i figured your were a lifer.

·
turtles make me hot
11,597 Posts
How long have those tires been set up with that sealant?
My fat bike's rear 4.8 Knard started bleeding sealant through the sidewalls after a few months. I opened it up, wiped out the old sealant and added new sealant. Cleaned the outside of the sidewall with Spray Nine and no more leakage.
My guess is when the sealant gets old it separates and the thinner ingredient seeps through the tire.

·
Registered
142 Posts
From my experience, that is very common with Specialized tires especially on the their S-works models. I had an S-works Fast Trak on the front of my Stumpjumper and it did this the entire time I had it on the bike. I had a couple of Specialized tires with the control casing and they started to do this after about 500 miles or so. I just kept riding them until they were bald and needed to be replaced without any ill effects. I have since switched to Maxxis tires and no weeping from the sidewall what so ever. Those Specialized tires just seem to have thin sidewalls and allow the sealant to weep out. Keep running them and make sure you keep an eye on the amount of sealant in your tires.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just had these tires services ( pulled/cleaned/ new stems and sealant) about 1 month ago. So it's pretty fresh. This is my second season on these tires, which came with the bike brand new last year, and I haven't seen this happen until today

·
Registered
143 Posts
Could be just a Specialized thing. Mine do it on the non Grid casings. My other bike has Maxxis and doesn't do it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
your not actually considering loosing your tubes are you? have you seen the light?

after your frequent comments about your deeply engrained passion for tubes in the past week i figured you were a lifer.
:lol: i'm gathering ammunition for the next debate..;)

i kid i kid........ if i were having issues with tubes flatting in various trail conditions, then and only then would i give tubeless a blink.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,277 Posts
:lol: i'm gathering ammunition for the next debate..;)

i kid i kid........ if i were having issues with tubes flatting in various trail conditions, then and only then would i give tubeless a blink.
it's not just about flats. imagine for a minute you've had sex your whole life with a condom on. it's still sex, plenty fun. then one day someone told you you could take the condom off, and it blew your mind! you've never been the same since.

you've been riding with a condom on.

·
Registered
627 Posts
contact specialized. i had my purgatory control weep stans fluid as well. and it was decently new. specialized will send you a new one. this also happened on my butcher as well. the butcher and purgatory control tires came stock on my bike and after about 7-8 months of use, this happened.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts