Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m trying to put more sealant into my kids tires but I think the valves are clogged with sealant.
Is there a solution short of replacing the valve?
Maybe I’ll do the old school method of removing the tire and pouring in the sealant?
Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
424 Posts
You need to remove the valve core in order to add sealant. If the actual valve is clogged with sealant, remove the core the clean it with isopropyl alcohol. If that doesn't clear it up, replace the valve core.

·
Registered
772 Posts
If you have the core out already and it's still tough, take a toothpick and clean it out. Also, if it's the syringe type that connect together, make sure that's clean too. Those get gummed up really easily making it appear like nothing will go in the stem.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
8,322 Posts
remove valve from rim
remove core from valve
ream with broken q-tip
use a pick/tweezers to remove any further latex clingons

reinstall valve, inflate
if adding sealant via valve, remove core first and
clean up inside valve with q-tip with half the cotton peeled off
before replacing valve. this helps clog prevention.

Reactions: Sparticus

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
17,954 Posts
remove valve from rim
remove core from valve
ream with broken q-tip
use a pick/tweezers to remove any further latex clingons

reinstall valve, inflate
if adding sealant via valve, remove core first and
clean up inside valve with q-tip with half the cotton peeled off
before replacing valve. this helps clog prevention.
I agree with this.

When we remove the valve core, we'll find there's a tiny black rubber sealing ring on the core itself. I find that this tiny black rubber sealing ring can get gummed up with semi-dried sealant. The semi-dried sealant is typically easy to pick off the black rubber sealing ring, but if it's worked its way deep into the core, then replace the entire valve core. Not the valve, just the core.

The presta valve itself is easily cleaned by removing the core and reaming the valve with a q-tip, as loopback stated.
=sParty

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.