Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I am currently running Continental UST on Mavic XM819 with latex sealant. But is the sealant necessary when running true UST? It makes changing tires a pain in the a..!

Best regards, Morten

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
MoMaTo said:
Hi All

I am currently running Continental UST on Mavic XM819 with latex sealant. But is the sealant necessary when running true UST? It makes changing tires a pain in the a..!

Best regards, Morten
No, you do not need sealant.

·
Registered
240 Posts
no you don't......but if you get a thorn, etc. that pain becomes pleasure. how often do you change tires? i just take them off with a bit of care, then walk them over to the hose and easily wash them out. pretty simple with nary any mess. but stans is the shizz when you get any kind of puncture.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys - does "real" sealant (e.g. Stans) dry up inside the tire? I use mold latex and that DOES dry up (some of it) and it is quite hard to get off the tire. If a real selant does not I do not want to safe my money ;)

·
Registered
94 Posts
I use sealant even though you don't have to. Like Bull_D said Stans can help seal up a thorn or small puncture. It does dry out but Stans is easy to remove. I'm only on my second pair of tubeless tires, but when I removed my first set the sealant had dried up to a rubber like texture but was easy to peal away.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I've only used Hutchinson sealant and it dries up after a while. Lots of little latex balls fall out when removing the tyres. I've been fortunate enough to not have tested how well it would repair punctures in two years though.:)

·
Tough Guy Extraordinaire
601 Posts
I don't use sealant, but my tires have always gone flat after about 3 days. I check them before every ride anyway, so it's no big deal. One of my buddies, uses sealent and his tires don't lose air as quick as mine, if at all.

No sure if this helps or makes things more confusing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you don't use a sealant, carry a couple extra spare tubes. Sealant has bailed me out on many rides and races and have not had to change a tube trailside since I've been using stans. A couple of weeks ago I had a significantly large rock puncture that brought the pressure down to about 5-10 psi. I just let the stans dry a bit and pumped the tire back up and the stans did the trick. My buddies were impressed and now all want to go tubeless.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.