Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm using Bontrager Dusters which are "tubeless ready" wheels. I was thinking of going tubeless, but I'm debating whether or not to use sealant. Apparently, with tubeless ready wheels, I can throw on a couple of folding tires without using sealant.

But, then there's a risk of punctures and so on so I'm told. I guess I could carry around a spare tube just in case.

Or are there other reasons for using sealant?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
yes you can run them w/o sealant, but adding sealant is just WAY easier in the long run, no flats to deal with, the tire seals immediatly... why not use it? the weight savings is trivial.

but still carry a tube at all times!

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
It depends on the tires....

that you use. Bontrager TLRs can be used with UST tires and no sealant. ALL other tires whether regular or "tubeless ready" MUST have sealant. TLR tires are not UST, they have a UST spec bead, but a regular tire body. That's what makes them lighter tha UST tires. The bead will seal up just fine on a TLR or UST rim, but the carcas of the tire will not without sealant. So to recap, the only tire you can run on a TLR rim without some sort of sealant is a UST tire.

And as the others have noted, reguardless of what type of tire that you run on them, it's always a good idea to run sealant. Bontrager TLRs are not the easiest rims in the world to seat and unseat tires on, so trailside repairs can be quite a PIA. Sealant is just good insurance. I'm running two sets of TLRs on two different bikes, a set of Dusters and a set of Mustangs. I live in goat head contry and won't run anything tubeless on them without sealant. I've come back from rides and pulled as many as 4 or 5 throns out of the tires. That would have ended the ride pretty quick. But with the sealant I never even knew they were there. Like I said, good insurance.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Squash said:
that you use. Bontrager TLRs can be used with UST tires and no sealant. ALL other tires whether regular or "tubeless ready" MUST have sealant. TLR tires are not UST, they have a UST spec bead, but a regular tire body. That's what makes them lighter tha UST tires. The bead will seal up just fine on a TLR or UST rim, but the carcas of the tire will not without sealant. So to recap, the only tire you can run on a TLR rim without some sort of sealant is a UST tire.

And as the others have noted, reguardless of what type of tire that you run on them, it's always a good idea to run sealant. Bontrager TLRs are not the easiest rims in the world to seat and unseat tires on, so trailside repairs can be quite a PIA. Sealant is just good insurance. I'm running two sets of TLRs on two different bikes, a set of Dusters and a set of Mustangs. I live in goat head contry and won't run anything tubeless on them without sealant. I've come back from rides and pulled as many as 4 or 5 throns out of the tires. That would have ended the ride pretty quick. But with the sealant I never even knew they were there. Like I said, good insurance.

Good Dirt
Really informative. Thanks.

·
Registered
736 Posts
For me and in New Mexico or any place with "goat heads" type stickers, thorns etc.......gotta have sealant or ride only on pavement......in the dirt (and can happen in pavemnet here too) use sealant. Period. Unless..........you really enjoy fixing flats in the dirt....One of my old ridding buddies apparently did, cause he NEVER used sealant in his "superduooper- high$$ superlight (condom like) tubes.......weeeellll........I just dunno why every ride we did we had to stop for him to fixa flat.........BUT he did indeed have the Lightest Tubes out there!! Just couldn't go tooo far without a flat.
Use sealant, my dos pennies wurth. Smile, tubless WORKS!!(With sealant)

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
I refresh mine every three months or so . Heat affects the evaporation rate so your mileage may vary .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.