Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
SS Clyde 29er
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man o man...it was WAYYY muddy out there today. Laguna Seca is a beautiful place. Even nicer when i'm the only fool out there riding it by myself in wind and rain! Yea i kn ow its not the coolest thing to ride when its wet but today was my only chance for a preride. I had to make sure my gear ratio was dialed in.

i was crankin a 32:19 gear ratio w my 29er thats got 44mm MutanoRaptors on it. If it stays wet 32:20 may be in order. Oh well beasts last year when it was dry as hell and I felt like I was riding sand dunes the whole time.

Yeppers, i rode the first 14 miles with out running into a Single Soul. It was just me, my 29er Single-Speed, and Some of the most choice Single track around. When i did Spot Some folks, get this, it was a group of Six fellow Sick, Single-Speeders! Now hows that for SSerendipity?

Anyway if u plan on riding the Sea Otter Cross Country race, get ready to ride some very washed out, eroded, rutted, and muddy trails. After cardiac hill, there is a washout at the bottom of the first valley that requires you to get off ur bike and jump the 3+ foot ditch! It was running like a creek i tell ya, (hope yall can swim)! Hope they fix that soon.

It looks like some trail work was done at the half way point due to massive landslides. in fact they even have some rails installed to keep folks from short cutting the new stuff, along with a dusting of straw hither and thither.

If it doesn't dry out before next weekend, its gonna get real ugly w/ a couple of thousand riders on the trail. Hmm...maybe the promoters need to call in the Army Corps of Engineers and put Shrub to good use finally?! DOHH im just too funny!

·
Registered
543 Posts
It doesn't look like its going to get any better. Its pouring outside right now and it rained yesterday too...it usually stops raining somewhere around mid-April but who knows exactly when it'll decide to stop.

Two days ago it was great, I rode all the way from East Garrison to somewhere along the grind and back and only came across a few muddy spots...trails were in good condition. IMHO two to three days after rain, the trails around here are perfect because the sand is under control...I'll trade getting a little muddy for not having to navigate across sand pits.

If it doesn't dry out before next weekend, its gonna get real ugly w/ a couple of thousand riders on the trail. Hmm...maybe the promoters need to call in the Army Corps of Engineers and put Shrub to good use finally?! DOHH im just too funny!
Army has better things to do these days than play around with us bikers...of course, they could always take Fort Ord back... ;)

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,281 Posts
Man what are you doin up at 2 in the morning. The forecast has it to be hella windy today. 25 to 30. And the rest of the week is going to be cloudy, no rain in the forecast yet so it should clear up nicely. My only concern is all the people pre-riding the course this week might make for some nasty ruts.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts
fire horse said:
Anyway if u plan on riding the Sea Otter Cross Country race, get ready to ride some very washed out, eroded, rutted, and muddy trails. After cardiac hill, there is a washout at the bottom of the first valley that requires you to get off ur bike and jump the 3+ foot ditch! It was running like a creek i tell ya, (hope yall can swim)! Hope they fix that soon.
Bunny hop it. If it's on a fast(er) section, that's doable. Just think of how much time you'll put on the guys who opt to get off and walk!

Weather last I checked is free of rain all week....I hope it holds. It'd be nice to have a warm(er) sunny Sea Otter for once.
http://www.weather.com/activities/other/other/weather/tenday.html?locid=USCA0724&from=search_10day

·
Feeling a little taller
6,705 Posts

·
29 inches and Pissed Off!
693 Posts
Rumpfy said:
Bunny hop it. If it's on a fast(er) section, that's doable. Just think of how much time you'll put on the guys who opt to get off and walk!

Weather last I checked is free of rain all week....I hope it holds. It'd be nice to have a warm(er) sunny Sea Otter for once.
http://www.weather.com/activities/other/other/weather/tenday.html?locid=USCA0724&from=search_10day
The problem with bunny hopping is the sticky mud that slows you down before it. If it dries out, it can be done.
Dan C.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hey "Fire horse", was that you on the orange Bridgestone (I think) 29er? That was our group of SS'ers that I ride with. My name is Edgar and I was on the gray Monocog, the first guy you ran in to, then my other buddies caught up on the other SS's. That day was nasty, I must have ate it about 3 or 4 times down the Goat trail, luckily I was wearing my snowboarding gear though. It's nice to see some fellow SS'ers out there once in a while, talk to you later!

·
SS Clyde 29er
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BUDDY! Yeaa, that was me...

floorguy724 said:
Hey "Fire horse", was that you on the orange Bridgestone (I think) 29er? That was our group of SS'ers that I ride with. My name is Edgar and I was on the gray Monocog, the first guy you ran in to, then my other buddies caught up on the other SS's. That day was nasty, I must have ate it about 3 or 4 times down the Goat trail, luckily I was wearing my snowboarding gear though. It's nice to see some fellow SS'ers out there once in a while, talk to you later!
Small world hugh? Yeaa it was nice running into some other singlespeeders suffering around the course, swapping info n stories. i'll look for you guys friday or sunday when im out there again. Cheers!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.