Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Raced the Sea Otter XC yesterday for the first time in probably 15 years. Because I like my new singlespeed better than my old XC FS bike, and bacause I don't consider myself to be a podium threat on any bike, I elected to race my one speed against the gearies in the 60-69 category.

Had I done a pre-ride, I would possibly have realized that, my 30-20 (29" wheels) gearing was too low for a lot of the course. In particular, the last fireroad climb.

Any of you guys race yesterday? What gearing (and wheelsize) did you run?

·
more skier than biker
2,363 Posts
Raced the Sea Otter XC yesterday for the first time in probably 15 years. Because I like my new singlespeed better than my old XC FS bike, and bacause I don't consider myself to be a podium threat on any bike, I elected to race my one speed against the gearies in the 60-69 category.

Had I done a pre-ride, I would possibly have realized that, my 30-20 (29" wheels) gearing was too low for a lot of the course. In particular, the last fireroad climb.

Any of you guys race yesterday? What gearing (and wheelsize) did you run?
I didn't race Sea Otter this year as I'm currently living overseas...but got a 2nd place in Cat 1 SS there last year with a 36x19 gear. I realize the course was a little different and shorter this year (run in reverse mostly) so may not be applicable.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I ran 32-18 along with many other riders in the open singlespeed class. I felt like this gearing was money. I had to walk two brief sections but I didn’t mind it

1 - 3 of 3 Posts