Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(My renegade thread) :eek:

After each and every one my friends gradually backed out of going to Sea Otter (except for Eric), I almost did the same. But I knew I'd have a good time even if I went solo, and sho' 'nuff. I missed all the after-expo happ'nins (illegal poker, Sumo Bike), and am proud to say I missed every sporting event held, with the exception of a brief sojurn over to watch the Specialized bmx/stunt rider almost take a woman's nose off with his rear wheel as it whipped back & forth mere inches from her face.

Thanks to afore-mentioned Eric and Chris from Chico, I had a camp space in 'H', the volunteers' no-frills camp site. The wind whipped thru that site like it was going out of style- mornings were a b!tch, as the fog had rolled in and temps were down in the chilly regions. With that combo, it made it hard to get out of "bed," but lots of folks were able to do it and get out onto the course, judging by the riders going by as I was making coffee.

Both Saturday and Sunday, I just cruised the expo, checking in at MTBR central ever now and then, saying hi to old vendor pals- Josh at Jericho (always good for a funny tale, and fresh-brewed beer), Maurice at Dirt Rag, Mike B., formerly of Giant,now at GT (thanks for the Sierra Nevada and the T-shirt.Folks, check out the 'new' IT-1 at http://www.gtbicycles.com/mountain/news/detail.php?id=1290 ...pics below),

New To Me- Jeff Lockwood/Karl Rosengarth of the new Hoss technical gear (www.hossmtb.com) had some good-looking shorts and understated (read: muted colours) jerseys. New guy Matias of Crank Bros replaced the dented wings on JFR's Candys free of charge, apologizing when he didn't have the same color body as John's IMBA specials. Jason of Salsa was just a damn nice guy- talking to me about the Salsas and having a good sense of humour about some of the reviews about Salsa tire clearance in the MTBR review section.

Thanks to Sabine of Velo Bella for the hug lesson. Never again will I pat. (www.velobella.org) I kept going into their booth, using the excuse I was looking for Suzy, but I was really checking out the cuties. :cool:

I was disappointed in a couple of companies- Specialized, especially. I brought my bike, hoping they'd replace the shock bushings, but according to a team mech, they don't work on the commoners' bikes. Gee, SRAM does it, Magura does it, Crank Brothers does it, even you guys did it last year, wtf? Pretty tight.

The best deal (besides the free beers everywhere on Sat.)? Buy 3 years of Dirt Rag, get 2 Panaracer tires and a pair of Ryders sunglasses. Can't beat that.

Bum deal of the weekend- George-da-Trog misplacing his Rentabaygo keys, having to drive allll the way to Modesto to pick up a spare pair and having to drive allll the way back to Laguna Seca, then having to drive allll the way back to Modesto. Yeeeeesh. Talk about hell. I still think the Rentabaygo HQ should hide a spare key on the vehicle and when
you call in a panic, charge you $25 to tell you where the key is. Worth every penny, imo.

Worst thing I saw? On the freeway, I saw a wounded duck playing Frogger, trying to get off the freeway. It couldn't fly. It looked as though it was swimming across the lanes of traffic, with vehicles swerving around it. :( ...sad to say, I hope it got hit and put out of its terror and pain.

Thanks again to Francois, Greggg and the entire MTBR gang for the tremendous effort they put out ensuring many people went home with a good idea of what MTBR is all about. Friendship and swag!!!

fp

1) The Bike Spike. Take your seat out, flip the bike upside down and impale it on this carrier. I'm still up in the air about this one. :confused: www.bikespike.com

2) I had never met this woman before, but apparently, my reputation preceeded me. :rolleyes:

3) One more of the Bike Spike.

4) The GT IT-1.

5) A parade, led by Boffo, the Sea Otter mascot.

Why does it take so much longer to unpack when you get home than it does to load up the stuff?

Attachments

·
Alright, let's ride!
1,472 Posts
The bike spike is kind of cool I just don't know if I like the idea of having to try to get my saddle straight and the right height every time I want to ride. Plus, would it eventually cause damage to the frame, especially when driving bumpy roads?

One last question, why no patting while hugging?

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dunno.

LowCel said:
The bike spike is kind of cool I just don't know if I like the idea of having to try to get my saddle straight and the right height every time I want to ride. Plus, would it eventually cause damage to the frame, especially when driving bumpy roads?

One last question, why no patting while hugging?
Let's let someone else test it out, aight?

I don't know about the patting thing either, but it felt just fine without it. :cool:

fp

·
Ride what you want!!
2,202 Posts
Finch Platte said:
Bum deal of the weekend- George-da-Trog misplacing his Rentabaygo keys, having to drive allll the way to Modesto to pick up a spare pair and having to drive allll the way back to Laguna Seca, then having to drive allll the way back to Modesto. Yeeeeesh. Talk about hell. I still think the Rentabaygo HQ should hide a spare key on the vehicle and when
you call in a panic, charge you $25 to tell you where the key is. Worth every penny, imo.
Tell me about it. I still have to replace the keys or they charge me $50 an hour to do it them selves. Got 3 of the 4 copied but one last 'special'-can't-get-it-anywhere' key still needs to be copied.

Still fun thought.

george

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.