Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone entering this new event? Has anyone done one before? I've never entered any type of race before but a friend and I might enter. It sounds like a blast! Mass Le Mans style start, mostly downhill with some brief uphill and a flat/slight rise sprint to the finish! So pretty much an average ride for most people.

If anyone has any experience- any tire recommendations? If it's muddy like last year I was thinking a Michelin DH mud 2.3 in front and some 2.0 mud xc tire in the rear. If it's dry I hear it can be pretty sandy. In that case I'll go with my everyday setup-- Michelin DH32 in front and mutano raptor in the back. On a SC Heckler by the way. About 34 pounds with the heavy tires. Too much? I'm just doing it for fun, but I don't want to be embarrassed either! :blush:

So anybody else thinking about doing it? Anyone have experience with Super D events in general?

Edit: More info can be found here:
http://www.seaotterclassic.com/index.cfm/competitive_events_mb_sram_super_d.htm

·
Track Junkie
1,236 Posts
I was thinking about it, but haven't entered. It's Thursday, and I'm not familiar with the course, but sounds like mostly fireroads.

Mass LeMans start, downhill, with high speeds - sounds like a huge oppertunity for bottlenecks and one big $52 clusterfuk. But for some reason, i really want to do it.

-Brad

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts
I entered the Super D sport class.

I've not done a Le Mans style start before, so it should be interesting.
Hopefully it won't cause too much carnage....well...not too much injury I should say. Nothing like a good ole' fashioned 'who can get to the bottom first' race. :D

It'll get the event over and done with in a hurry. :p

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup definitely on Thursday. Isn't it the first year being at Sea Otter? I don't remember it last year.

Definitely huge potential for group crashes-- I'm gonna wear my kneeguards, maybe even my fullface helmet.

The course doesn't sound like it's going to be technically challenging, which is somewhat disappointing, but I think the group aspect will make up for it.
I'm hopeful. It could be exciting and fun, or it could be frustrating and dull. I haven't officially signed up yet, but I think I will tomorrow. Is the open class segmented into more brackets? Sport, amateur, etc? On the website I just saw Open with age brackets (I'm 21 so I'd be in a tough age group!) and an Elite/Pro class. I'd love it if there were one for absolute race newbies like myself, although maybe that's where all the group crashes will happen.

·
SS Clyde 29er
607 Posts
Ohhhh>>>

Octane said:
Mass LeMans start, downhill, with high speeds - sounds like a huge oppertunity for bottlenecks and one big $52 clusterfuk. But for some reason, i really want to do it.

-Brad
YEAAA, that's what I'm talkin' 'bout! HAAA, it will be like living back in smelL.A. again. I've signed up. Riding my rigid 29er too boyee.

Fast speeds, a group of aggro "me first-ers", loose gravel, optional body armor, and a requisite give it all you got right now mentality, ohhh man!

MARK MY WORDS, with all the people involved, esp first timers (like me), THIS WILL BE to some greater or lesser extent..FULL CONTACT Mountain Biking.

I can see the write up in some bike rag, "Roller Derby meets Mtn Biking", or...Kirin racing comes to Sea Otter, or something Mad Max-esque.."Welcome to the Otter-Dome".

Yea..spiked leather sap gloves, toe spikes in your cleats, bike pumps being thrown into wheels, ....PYROTECHNICS, FIRE ARMS!>>>YEAAAA!!!

THIS WILL TOTALLY ROCK!

(maybe i should only do one cup of coffee a day?)

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.