Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What a fun weekend. I had the best time ever, and still couldn't get to everything.

Fillet-Brazed, SSMike, VDBR, KB11...I had a great time hanging out with you guys this weekend. The weekend went by too quickly!
It was great meeting other VRC and MTBR members, looking forward to next year.

Ok, ok...on to the pics (if anyone else has more...please post!):

The wild painted Landshark in the front placed 3rd in the cross country Sunday morning BTW...holding it down for the vintage!

RJG's (other) Paramount, My P-22 Team, SSMikes Ibis

Fast Eddy's DBack, My Slingshot SS, a 92 Bontrager (which also raced Sunday in teh XC) and the Landshark. SSMike taking a closer look.

RJG (owner of the black Ned issue Paramountain) and KB11 holding his newly restored WTR

Fast Eddy taking pics, and Pyamid's....back...

Fillet Brazed, SSMike, KB11:

This guy brought a Bontrager that was rescued from 15 years of storage. It has a prototype Judy fork and a really cool Bonty Ti riser bar on it. Looks NOS and was a great looking bike. It's only mileage was from the parking lot, to the meet!:

And the other cool thing I saw this weekend. Ned Overand and Frishi hanging out...it was like the 1990 Worlds all over again!

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Fun

Anytime you can be around a bunch of cool bikes and folks, a fun time will be had. It would be even more fun to get a bunch more vintage iron (or aluminum in F-B's case) out for a ride. I enjoyed the ride on Friday with Rumpfy, Fillet-Brazed and vdubbusrider. And what's more important - 3 days later and no poison oak eruptions on my legs! That was an ugly sectino Dave took us on. Woohoo for Tecnu!

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
ssmike said:
Anytime you can be around a bunch of cool bikes and folks, a fun time will be had. It would be even more fun to get a bunch more vintage iron (or aluminum in F-B's case) out for a ride. I enjoyed the ride on Friday with Rumpfy, Fillet-Brazed and vdubbusrider. And what's more important - 3 days later and no poison oak eruptions on my legs! That was an ugly sectino Dave took us on. Woohoo for Tecnu!
Ya, I enjoyed the ride too. Sorry about the poison oak detour! :) Glad to hear you and Rumpfy didnt get it. I have yet to hear from Sky yet, he said he gets it bad so Im a bit worried. I got just a small little bit on my shin but it doesnt really bother me usually bother me too much.

I owe you guys for the Tecnu! :) Next year I think we should advertise the vintage ride thing a bit more and get a good sized crew.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm jumpin ship from my thread to this one ;). Here's a few more shots of the retro meet.

And to replace the shot of my back, there's a pic of me with the roaming, no-booth-to-call-his-own, sasquatch of the MTB world- Jeff Jones. A real nice guy, willing to jibba-jabba with geeks like me all day.

As a side note (and I know it isn't retro), after seeing his new bent seat tube, telescopic chainstay, massive standover 29er frame, I went home and created a Jones "Gotta buy me an uber expensive space frame and I have a two year wait-list time period to save for it" change jar. Some day, Jeff, some day!... I'll probably end up raiding it for grocery money every week, though :(

Attachments

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pyramid said:
I'm jumpin ship from my thread to this one ;). Here's a few more shots of the retro meet.

And to replace the shot of my back, there's a pic of me with the roaming, no-booth-to-call-his-own, sasquatch of the MTB world- Jeff Jones. A real nice guy, willing to jibba-jabba with geeks like me all day.

As a side note (and I know it isn't retro), after seeing his new bent seat tube, telescopic chainstay, massive standover 29er frame, I went home and created a Jones "Gotta buy me an uber expensive space frame and I have a two year wait-list time period to save for it" change jar. Some day, Jeff, some day!... I'll probably end up raiding it for grocery money every week, though :(
Ha ha!
In that first pic, you can just make out the tip of my hat as I'm talking to FB, SSMike, and KB....see how captivated they are! :p

This shirt says it all really:

·
MTBr ReMember
654 Posts
From wounded knee to Sea Otter ' 05...

...It's taken 22 years to make the Journey!
Cycling being the prescription for recovering from M/C accidents and diverting me from new one's.
My first love is a 1983 Univega Alpina Pro and was part of the supporting cast at the Retro Gathering (you'll have to look close Brian!).
This was the first event in 21 years that she has appeared...the last being the Ukiah Wheelers century ride in Mendo. county...( I still remember the coupon to Mikky D's as the end of ride meal :( )

The Univega saw a few days in the sun...as I had a blast tooling around the festival with my old reliable having spent a few hours rubbing out some of the grime that has collected over the years.
Thank Dog she's made out of CroMo or there would be more than mild rust to deal with where the frame is scratched.

I enjoyed seeing all the other retro entries...including the Stik-Shift StingRay cruising around...wanted one of those bad in ' 67!

The bike performed flawlessly...the only changes from original on the bike are the saddle which sadly was destroyed by weather...and a change to CrankBro's Mallet's.
(I wanted to keep the Beartrap pedal look while being able to clip in...they come with replaceable shin pealer's incase you wear out the first set :confused: )

Thanks to the photograhers in the crowd.

Tim

·
horn doggie
847 Posts
Rumpfy said:
This guy brought a Bontrager that was rescued from 15 years of storage. It has a prototype Judy fork and a really cool Bonty Ti riser bar on it. Looks NOS and was a great looking bike. It's only mileage was from the parking lot, to the meet!:

Actually, the bike had been in storage in Santa Cruz for some 7 years. I picked it (and a box load of cool spare parts!!) up from a former RockShox R&D designer and collector that morning after some 2 months of talks. He said the bike was one of the last 5 Race Lites produced in Santa Cruz before the Bronson Street shop was closed. That's a prototype Judy SL (never produced) with some expensive internals (including Ti spring and unique damping system) and Bontrager-spec off-set crown (yet not at all like those made for the Mag 1 fork). Nearly every fastener on the bike is Ti.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
scooderdude said:
Actually, the bike had been in storage in Santa Cruz for some 7 years. I picked it (and a box load of cool spare parts!!) up from a former RockShox R&D designer and collector that morning after some 2 months of talks. He said the bike was one of the last 5 Race Lites produced in Santa Cruz before the Bronson Street shop was closed. That's a prototype Judy SL (never produced) with some expensive internals (including Ti spring and unique damping system) and Bontrager-spec off-set crown (yet not at all like those made for the Mag 1 fork). Nearly every fastener on the bike is Ti.
That's a nice looking bike. I like the orange with the minimalist decals. I have a similar set (although mine are yellow) that I hope to one day use for a similar effect.

·
Registered
779 Posts
just made my way back to San Diego (Monday night). lots of driving but well worth it. thanks for putting it on Rumpfy! the poison oak is just now creeping in so i'm not totally sure just how much i have yet but so far its enough to suck. i might just need to buy that technu stuff and give it a whirl. next year i'll be much more prepared for the FilletBrazed ride!

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
vdubbusrider said:
just made my way back to San Diego (Monday night). lots of driving but well worth it. thanks for putting it on Rumpfy! the poison oak is just now creeping in so i'm not totally sure just how much i have yet but so far its enough to suck. i might just need to buy that technu stuff and give it a whirl. next year i'll be much more prepared for the FilletBrazed ride!
Welcome home buddy!

·
Registered
49 Posts
UncleMTB said:
My first love is a 1983 Univega Alpina Pro and was part of the supporting cast at the Retro Gathering (you'll have to look close Brian!).
These are the best shots I have, I was going for group shots here and the best position in this case would have been in the middle somewhere.

Attachments

·
MTBr ReMember
654 Posts
Those Two shots are excellent!...

Pyramid said:
These are the best shots I have, I was going for group shots here and the best position in this case would have been in the middle somewhere.
...The second one shows the Mallets with a shadow of the left pedal and its EggBeater guts.
Good shot of the controls also...

Thanks...hopefully Brian(GirchyGirchy) will check the post.

Tim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.