Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
VRC Illuminati
17,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well...I'm sorry to say that the Retro Gathering was somewhat of a bust....
I didn't have any expectations, but I'd hoped more would have come out. Try, try again I guess. I did get plenty of shots of the peeps that did make it out!

Jeff and Mike showed up with their very fine retros. Between the two of them, they knew more than I could ever hope to know! FastEddy brought an old rig and a few random people stopped by with older bikes as well (but with no Vintage Forum relation).
Laffeaux was held up by quite a bit of traffic getting in (to Laguna), but came through with two killer rides that garnerd much attention.
Some pics of the day below:

Jeff and one of his (several) Cunningham's

My Slingshot and Yeti Ultimate (which ended up very dirty thanks to all the wind and dust)

Francis in orange is makin' a fuss over Laffeaux's Bridgestone XO-1. Laffeaux is holding on to a very unique, custom Ritchey, FastEddy is in yellow.

One of the non-forum guys (sorry I forgot your name!) that had a fine 83ish Stumjumper.

Mike and his Ibis in great shape and still very trail active!

Vintage on display (with FastEddy's Diamond Back up close)

Jeff, Eric (Laffeaux), our buddy Max, and myself went for a cruise around the pits on four of the vintage mtb's. I enjoyed every double take and conversation overheard!

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I went to a silly wedding or else I would have been there!!!

Rumpfy said:
Well...I'm sorry to say that the Retro Gathering was somewhat of a bust....
I didn't have any expectations, but I'd hoped more would have come out. Try, try again I guess. I did get plenty of shots of the peeps that did make it out!
I'll be there next year with my Charlie bike for sure...

sorry I wasnt there :(

--
CR

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
Rumpfy said:
Jeff, Eric (Laffeaux), our buddy Max, and myself went for a cruise around the pits on four of the vintage mtb's. I enjoyed every double take and conversation overheard!
I was surprised at how many people took second looks as we rode past. Even Zap said "nice bikes" as we cruised past the Trek booth.

·
Illuminati
1,730 Posts
Being in the UK it was highly unlikely that I would have been there! however I'm trying to organise a similiar meet at the <www.ssmm.co.uk> in june.
So far bikes I know will be attending:
93 fat chance titanium
87 custom salsa
99 fat chance ti (x2)
94 fat chance yo eddy
fat chance shockabilly
fat chance buck shaver

hmm, I need to invite some more non FAT owners :) I'll get Djuc to post pics after it happens!

is that jeff, as in 1stflightbikes jeff with the beautiful cunningham? :)

ta

scant

·
VRC Illuminati
17,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
scant said:
is that jeff, as in 1stflightbikes jeff with the beautiful cunningham? :)

ta

scant
Heavy on the Fat!
We look forward to seeing the pics!

No, Jeff Archer of Firstflight is out east in North Carolina. I would like to see his collection in person though.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
great to meet you guys

Nice to put faces to bikes. And fun to talk about old bikes without using "how much travel." Sorry I missed out on the cruise the pits, but I did have a bit of "work" to attend to that weekend. Next year it might be nice to try to convince a few select mountain bike dignitaries to attend as well. That photo of the early 80s Stumpjumper with the DH bike in the background is interesting. I think they both have the same head and seat angles! Laffeaux' X0-1 is a beauty.

Mike

·
artistic...
7,608 Posts
looks good to me!

maybe photos are larger than life but it looks success here in the screen of my computer. wish i was there but leaving southern hemisphere was impossible...

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
Im bummed I couldnt make it back to the booth at noon. It looks like you guys had fun. I still havent seen Laffeaux's Annapurna in person. Thats a beauty!

Next year we should do a nice ride.

Who brought the old Ascent EX?? I spent a few months on one of those back in the day waiting for a frame to be warranteed! Brings back some good memories!

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
Fillet-brazed said:
Im bummed I couldnt make it back to the booth at noon. It looks like you guys had fun. I still havent seen Laffeaux's Annapurna in person. Thats a beauty!

Next year we should do a nice ride.

Who brought the old Ascent EX?? I spent a few months on one of those back in the day waiting for a frame to be warranteed! Brings back some good memories!
Dave, I did feel the fork flex that you had asked me about. At low speeds while cruising the pits it was very noticable. However, when we came down a fairly steep section of dirt near the MTB short track, I didn't notice it all and I was breaking hard and moving slowly.

It's raining here now, but once it dries out I'll do a better off-road test and let you know more. I can do a side-by-side comparison on a bike with a unicrown. I've put a lot more miles on the unicrown bikes and never noticed flex on them.

You should have stopped by later. I was in Salinas at 11:45, but did not get parked until close to 1:30. The traffic coming in on Saturday was horrible!!!

The Ascent belongs to Fast Eddy.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Hi all , this is the guy with the '83 stumpjumper. My name is Ken. I enjoyed meeting you all and seeing some really cool bikes. I'll be at Infineon Raceway May 15/16 for the National, Hope to see you there :D

·
VRC Illuminati
17,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
kb11 said:
Hi all , this is the guy with the '83 stumpjumper. My name is Ken. I enjoyed meeting you all and seeing some really cool bikes. I'll be at Infineon Raceway May 15/16 for the National, Hope to see you there :D
Hey Ken-
Good to know you're out there!

I'd really like to try and make the Sonoma/Sears Pt. (I just can't call it Infineon) NORBA race. If anything, just to hang out and pedal around.

As the time gets closer, perhaps I'll make another post for retros going up that direction....

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
Rumpfy said:
Hey Ken-
Good to know you're out there!

I'd really like to try and make the Sonoma/Sears Pt. (I just can't call it Infineon) NORBA race. If anything, just to hang out and pedal around.

As the time gets closer, perhaps I'll make another post for retros going up that direction....
I'm not sure I'll race there, but I'd make a retro gathering if one happens.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts