Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
#108 out of 156

I did okay for my first big race, but shy of my top 50% goal. Dang, if I shaved 8 minutes off my time, I woulda been there too! I did it in 2:11:54

I'm happy with the outcome, tho. No injuries, no mechanical issues. The only major issue I had was cramping. I actually had to stop a couple of times because my cramps were so bad near that last climb out.

I also kept getting stuck behind slow bikers. Next time, I'm going to be more agressive with passing.

I think next time, I'm going to pedal the crazy climbs instead of hoofing them. I've cleaned those climbs in practice, but was trying to conserve energy.

I could have been fresher too. I pre-rode the course the day before, and pushed too hard, 'cause I was having too much fun.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
ROAD RACE MASTER MEN 30+ 4/5
59 1302 CEBEDO, FRANCIS SARATOGA, CA ROADBIKEREVIEW.COM 02:33:21.2 00:13:54.1
Field size is 97 not including DNFs
Course is 48 miles with 4200 feet of climbing. This course is incredibly tough and the field even tougher. I stayed with the pack for two laps, got dropped, road well then suffered through bad cramping for the last 30 minutes. This is my first road race and I'm very happy with the experience. I suffered badly but did not give up. I now know first hand how fit these roadie dudes are!

MTB CROSS COUNTRY BEG/SPORT SINGLE SPEED
17 3950 CEBEDO, FRANCIS SARATOGA, CA MTBR.COM 01:38:40.8 00:08:50.5
Field size is 105 not including DNFs
I raced well! My legs were sore from the roadie race experiment but rode well with what I had. My key strategy was to stay in front of Andy aka crashmaster (who was riding a cross bike fixed gear) cause I knew he was going down. And down he went!

I duked it out with several folks around me... and chit-chatted with them. I drafted the tandems. I passed the earlier riders aggressively and thanked them dearly!

Also, I'm liking this roadie/mtb racing thing. Maybe start a trend? My friends Paul Wassem, Oliver Carbonell, Alex Wheeler, Red Felix tried it and feel pretty good about it.

francois

photo: nutty andy leading the SS field in a fixed gear bike with 44:18 gearing :0

·
Seriously ?
227 Posts
Cool

#31 out of 73 with 2:02:28

Shoulda, woulda, coulda....

Fun race

Gui

ps. Good job Rumpfy, Francois and Pimpbot

·
ol'guy who says hi &waves
2,546 Posts
OK for second race

8/57 in 50-54 Beginner Men XC. I had a last minute leaking tire/rim and had to use a back-up tire rim combo. Made to the start with 5 minutes to spare. Checking the "old guys" times in Beginner, Sport, and Expert, man I've got along way to go or more of these guys need to start getting jobs and families.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
results

I got 22 expert 40-44. What a differance a year would make, I would have been 6th 45-49! Can't wait to turn 45 next year. I've been sick with the flu since the race with 102 temp! It was worth it: :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
148/158 sport xc 35-39 / 2 06.27 (Where is the Slacker Forum??

First race, tons of fun until I started cramping on the fireroad out on the grind. I knew I was in trouble when I did some reflecting after the race -- I remember being passed about 200 times but I only remember passing a couple of dozen racers!

Damn I'm in a tough class......

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
fred-da-trog said:
Checking the "old guys" times in Beginner, Sport, and Expert, man I've got along way to go or more of these guys need to start getting jobs and families.
I did the same for my age group...I'm in no danger of 'sand bagging'. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Me too!... #22 and the flu too!

Hey, did you pick up your race packet from a guy that was so sick it seemed like he was on his death bed? I'm pretty sure that's how I got sick.

Next year: sleep (1 hour the night before the race just isn't enough), don't camp (leads to lack of sleep).

·
Registered
475 Posts
merlin said:
I got 22 expert 40-44. What a differance a year would make, I would have been 6th 45-49! Can't wait to turn 45 next year. I've been sick with the flu since the race with 102 temp! It was worth it: :)
I'm glad to hear that I wasn't the only one that raced with the flu. I trained for 6 mos for the race (my first 40-44 beg) and then get sore throat and lung butter on the day before the race. Really p*ssed me off. Had to ride anyway. Thought I ws gonna die on the last hill climb to the pavement. Legs felt fine, couldn't get enough oxygen. 115 out of 138
not what I had in mind; but I had a ball and wouldnt' have missed it for anything. At least I know I'll be able to improve next year's time if I can just not get SICK! maybe it was the same guy in the information booth who had the plague that got me.
See ya next year!

·
34N 118W
2,246 Posts
11th place with the flu!

well, make that 11th from last. :(

I was a little under the weather leading up to the SS race, now I'm on my arse. Nice. But I had fun and hopefully entertained a few folks with my getup. :D

can't wait to see the brightroom.com photos.

HW

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
Hollywood said:

I was a little under the weather leading up to the SS race, now I'm on my arse. Nice. But I had fun and hopefully entertained a few folks with my getup. :D

HW
forget the brightroom photos HW. Photo-john got you good. You were on your bike too on hurl.

Me on the other hand he shot walking and drooling up hurl. I failed to mention in my race report that I walked every steep hill on the race. Part of the plan, yeah that's it.

francois

·
120 pounds of xc sex!
639 Posts
haha...

i got 38th place out of 44! man....2 hrs 30 min!!!!!!

i sucked!!!!

haha....two crashes, bronken granny, and me just being slow. haha!

(beg xc mens 19-24)

well it was fun anyways..

i wish xzhibit would come and pimp my ride so i could win a race. sigh.

·
Registered
516 Posts
:( 90th just broke the 2 hour mark by 30 seconds, 3 wipe outs bent back rim on the 3rd one, some tire rub due too that. The worst was my bars came loose during the race.
But overall I'm happy that I finished alive.
Riding the fixed gear with that 42-17 gearing was a little bit too much over my head.
Oh! I just wanted too thank some of the other SSer's that shared there water with me.
I was quite parched after I lost my water bottle. THANKS YOU GUYS ROCKED.

CrAzy AnDy.
Team Hamana.

·
34N 118W
2,246 Posts
where's the PJ photo???

I coulda sworn I was hoofing it up Hurl when I saw John and said "no walking shots!"

don't downplay it cowboy, you were one of the fastest names I recognized on the results board. Plus the whole roadie thing on Fri. Nice.

next year I'll crack 2 hrs., spray champagne everywhere and take a podium girl back to my motel.

HW

francois said:
forget the brightroom photos HW. Photo-john got you good. You were on your bike too on hurl.

Me on the other hand he shot walking and drooling up hurl. I failed to mention in my race report that I walked every steep hill on the race. Part of the plan, yeah that's it.

francois

·
Cracker-magnon
1,153 Posts
Hollywood said:

HW
Sorry your not feeling so well. And thanks for that CO2 cartridge. At least you didn't make the bottom 10. I am pretty sure I coulda been under the 2 hour mark if it was not for that flat fiasco at the bottom of the last climb. Oh well, it was fun. Think I'll do a few more just for the hell of it. Seems I enjoy hell. :D

·
Aussie Bob
377 Posts
I crashed 1 and a half miles into the race did my knee in and my face lol but still made it to the end I was 106 th in a 109 field 45 to 49 beginers 3 hours 47 mins , just to put it in context as i was goin up the hill to home the pros were comin on lol just made it back in time for the raffel and a beer :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
SOC race report...

I just got back. My wife,son, dog, and I made a vacation out of it. Well, for my first race on the SS I had a good race. Always have room for improvement though. I got 10th in the Sport SS. I got passed by 3 SS on the two thirds up the final hill. I was out of sauce and starting to get a little crampy.

So how did Andy do with his fixed gear? He sure jammed up the first hill.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.