Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Natural body armor
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how did it go?

I had a great day myself, hit my goal of 1:45 and placed 50th out of 101 in Sport XC 40-44 (only 19mins from the lead :D ).
I was expecting to get caught by JeffH and RJ2 who started 5 mins after me but they never showed up :) . Tick must have passed me so fast I didn't even see him. :eek:

It was really foggy this morning and so start was delayed by 30mins.
There was a nasty crash still on the racetrack in my group, hope everybody is ok.

I ate it on the sandy beach #1 and right before the finish line, but it was a lot of fun!

Hopefully there will be some pics from Carmen soon.
Any news from the beginner racers yesterday? Kris, Wade?

ZT

·
Registered
35 Posts
18th in 30-34, 9:30 or so off the lead, somewhere around 1:37. Took the first climb a bit fast, heart rate blew up near the top so had to walk the last short section to get it back under control. Slid on my right side that first beach of a downhill (reminiscent of NVDC almost), good riding past that.

Also hope no serious injuries, tho I did see a chopper land at the helipad a while after I finished.

·
more skier than biker
2,390 Posts
Pretty stoked on my first Sea Otter.

Great weather (I know this is usually a crapshoot), great times, good seeing lots of old friends.

Stoked on my race. Got 4th out of 67 in Cat 2 Singlespeed Open with a 1:27. Got slowed down a little in the first singletrack section but not too bad. Next year I will have to try the long course.

Linky:
http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/8030180

·
Registered
742 Posts
Marco, I ended up with 15th in the beginners cydlesdales. My time was 2:01. I didn't make my 2:00 goal but I rode and good race no mechanical or crashes. I felt pretty satisfied and the conditions were great all day yesterday. I am heading up to skeggs tomorrow morning at 930 if anyone wants to join. It will be a mellow ride nothing crazy but i was looking forward to riding giant salamander.

glad to hear your race went well Marco and everyone else.

·
bike dork extraordinaire
628 Posts
Good to see a bunch of MTBR folks out there today, and glad everyone had a good race.

I had a few nice close calls due to some spaztastic bike handling on my part, which sucked, but fortunately I felt strong for the whole race and was only passed a few times. Finished in 1:33 and change, which was good enough for 11th place in Cat 2 30-34. Maybe top 10 next year!

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Did the course seem slower than last year? The times in my class all seemed slower and I didnt meet my goal of beating last years time, but I I was closer to the leader. The gaps were all much tighter, only 4 minutes between 2nd and 9th.

Finished in 1:46 (6:20 behind) for 8th in cat 3 30-34.

I started on the front against the barrier so I was clipped in and ready to go. when the buzzer went i just took off, looked back at the first corner and there was no one for like 50yds. then I figured maybe I should be drafting instead of sprinting clear. if only the rest of the race went that well!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Killroy said:
I got 4th in Cat II 25-29 at 124 min. Read my thread in the Sea Otter thread for my rant on sandbaggers.
Couldn't find your thread...Please post your thread here.
And don't get me started on sandbaggers...there were a few.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yellow Jersey

Anybody know the guy in the yellow colorado state jersey. There was about 4-5 of us battling until the last 2-3 miles left in the Cat 3 30-34. Wandering where he finished?

·
(Ali)
782 Posts
rox said:
Did the course seem slower than last year?
It was longer in three places, but I didn't measure:

- offroad start was a tiny bit longer; we did not go into the corkscrew that much last year

- Trails 27+28 were both longer and slower than last year's fireroad downhill

- The finish had an extra few hundred meters (maybe yards :p)

Ali

·
(Ali)
782 Posts
Cat 2 Singlespeed. My time was just about a minute better that last year: 1:52:50.

I have other games to play with the race results: I was worse than last year in the cat 2 category alone, but better when cat 2 results are combined with cat 3 results. In any case, I am always somewhere in the bottom quarter.

My problem for the last 5 miles has been both the calves cramping. :( So I finished in slow motion and gave another singlespeeder the opportunity for a great sprint finish to pass me in the last two seconds. :D (Great job Thomas!)

I don't know what I could have done (other than actually preparing for a *race* :) ), but if the legs were like last year's...

One thing I quit last year has been the energy and recovery drinks. I did not take any supplements before or during the race, as well as only water during and after regular rides. I still eat energy bars though...

The weather was too good. I gathered various samples from booths to rehydrate and eventually become a radiactive alien. ;) My pee almost glowed with all the recovery chemicals! :p) But the guy at the H2O recovery drink booth literally saved my life by giving me a bottle right when I could collapse. :) Thanks again!

The weirdest experience was with the glass cleaning guy. After all of the familiar mountaing biking attitude at the booths and everywhere, this dude gave us informertial treatment. He first cleaned our sun glasses and then filled our hands with various bottles and snake oils saying "I'm giving this free because you're buying that other one." And we got an amazing deal of $20 for a $75 value! He even looked upset when we rejected the offer: "I know your prescription sun glasses are $300 man!" I should have treated my expensive glasses with a $20 investment. Ha ha... :D (The product really works though; the glasses were even dust free after the treatment.)

Ali

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Ouch. I'm hurting, butt's sore, and my dad wants to go for a ride now. My report(s) after one more ride for the weekend.

·
Registered
245 Posts
The photos I took at the start are in the fog, but here you go pisket.

I need to work on them a little more before I upload them to flickr.

Attachments

·
enter and win
727 Posts
No race report, no pictures, just a great time doing neither AND being at the otter! Ran into, literally and figuratively, about 150 or so of my closest mountain biking friends, and even ran into a fellow DH er over at Hollister Hills! Watched the pro women's short track, very exciting, watched a whole buncha nothing at the top of the DH course due to a delay with the ambulance on scene, talked with a million people, and when you've been racing 15 years there's lots to catch up on! Diced it out with pimpy and jrm on 101 N coming home, hey thanks for giving me that hole shot guys! Got pulled into the Gilroy outlets and got back out alive, did serious shopping for all kindsa other people at the otter, was very glad to be back home and put my lighter wallet away. As for the weather? Holy cow it doesn't get much better than this! Goooood times! Next sighting: Coolest! See you there!

1 - 20 of 111 Posts