Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
May the Force be with you
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Every one! This will be my first race. I'm 34 and about 168 lbs.
I have a Gt Idxc 4 2.0. 2005
I'm going to ride the beginer class it's 19 miles one lap.

Any suggestions on what are the best tires to run for the course.
I like to climb so I imagine that will be beneficial for the race but how much climbing should I be doing to prepair for the race?
How many miles should i ride to get ready?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated:)

Thanks

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I think the race will be 19-20 miles with about 3,000ft of climb.

the fast guys will be under 2 hours and the other 2/3 in the 2-3 hour window

I would pick a fast rolling light tire, Liam Killeen won the Pro/XC race last year on Specialized Fast Trak LK tires.

Lots of up and down canyons with each of the climbs being about 500-600ft each

·
Registered
59 Posts
norcalchico said:
I like to climb so I imagine that will be beneficial for the race but how much climbing should I be doing to prepair for the race?
How many miles should i ride to get ready?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated:)

Thanks
Greatly depends on when is the race.
If it is still a few weeks away, make sure you ride a couple of longer rides and some training rides at race pace for the predicted duration. Be sure to taper 3-4 days before and warm up good before the race.
good luck

·
(Ali)
782 Posts
My first race too! :)

Making sure that you've seen this page at Motion Based:

http://motionbased.com/event/view.mb?tile=event.seaotter07&tab=0

I rode most of the course a couple of weeks ago. Very fast course. Some spots will be very sandy if it will be dry in April. (It was very wet last year.) I agree with the review at Motion Based that at least the front tire must be fat for those sections. My Conti Vertical Pro front tire did quite well on the *downhill* sand traps. :)

Climbs are not technical but I feel like I may need to walk a few of those. :)

I am planning to ride it a few times more before the race.

Ali

·
(Ali)
782 Posts
Ouch! Chico is far... :( Fortunately I live in the Bay Area. :)

I couldn't ride all of the course: I missed the northern part of it. I rode a total of 24 miles at 9.5mph average. I wasn't going at racing speed at all (whatever that is :) ). Also; I had to stop a lot to find my way around, which may have kept me fresh.

If I'm not mistaken, the section I didn't ride (north part) has a couple of climbs, which would likely drop my average speed.

Ali

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.