Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never ridden in sea otter, but have been a spectator for several years. I'm thinking about racing beginer ammatuer xc, but I'm a little concerned. I'm 14 now, and my birthday is march 2, so could I enter the under 14 catagory, or would I need to enter 15-27? Do they verify age? How important is it to preride the course, as I live 2.5 hr away? I'm not concerned about winning, but I would prefer to not come in last place. Last year I watched the begginer 15-17 girls start, and it seemed really relaxed and noncompetative. Is this the case throughout, or did I get the wrong impression?

Any repplies greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
you need to enter the catagory you would be in at the end of the year, so 15-17 is the right catagory to enter. Actually, you will be 15 during the race, so you shouldn't even consider entering a younger age group.

Since you aren't concerned about winning, it shouldn't really matter. And you will not come in last unless you are one of the unfortunate that end up not finishing. Don't worry about the results and have fun.

There is something very wrong about being 15 and entering the 14 and under catagory.

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
grrrah said:
There is something very wrong about being 15 and entering the 14 and under catagory.
I already thought this, but last year I spoke with an adult in a similar situation, who ended up lying about his age, and he claimed that 1/4 or more of the racers were doing the same. I suspected, and now know, that he was a wierdo

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
I don't know if a lot of people lie about age, but I do know a lot of people go into an easier catagory than they should.

I was going to enter a more difficult catagory to avoid the begginer cluster-mess that used to happen, but last year they changed the course, and they combined the beginner/sport class for my cat. 2 years ago, I was gonna lie about my age so I could start at the same time with my friends, but not for any competetive reasons. Ended up not doing that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.