Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So is registering for the Mountain Bike Magazine MTB Tour at Sea Otter worth the $52 entry fee. Sounds like fun but is it really just an expensive BBQ... can you drop in, drop out, etc. Anything you know is helpful. Thoughts? ~ Jack

·
bikerbert
1,082 Posts
it is a fun ride, but all you get is the BBQ, number plate, and snacks along the trail. You're better off paying a little less and doing the XC race. The course is essentially the same.

·
I am lost, I'm no guide
1,145 Posts
I've done the tour twice

A couple notes. Last years SUCKED! I first did it a few years ago and it was a blast. They did a great job organizing it. Hell, some high school band came out and sang the star spangled banner. The break areas were organized and there was plenty of fruit, energy bars, gu, and cytomax to go around. They were spaced evenly apart and the turn off for the 20 mile option was easily detected.

Again, LAST YEARS SUCKED! First of all, it started at 7am, and was practically still dark! A buddy of mine and I took a newbie to riding on the tour w/ the promise of a good ten mile ride, w/ the option for 20 if he was up to it. I promised plenty of rest stops for food and drink. Unfortunately, that was not the case. There was only 1 rest stop, and that consisted of a couple jugs of cytomax. The energy bars were gone, and there was no fruit, PB and J's, Gu, etc, and no one manning the station... More importantly, either the 20 mile sign was not there, or we missed it (3 sets of eyes may have missed it?), and the newbie had to do the 20 mile loop, which w/ his fitness level and asthma, nearly killed the poor bast*rd! In essence, this ride turned off a newbie rider to the sport, and I do not believe he's been back on his bike since!

Hopefully, the organizers read this and they go back to the way it was in years past. I inadvertently turned off someone to riding last year, but the first tour a few years ago, I turned my wife on to riding because it was such a fun good time for us.

·
Registered
267 Posts
rhino biker said:
So is registering for the Mountain Bike Magazine MTB Tour at Sea Otter worth the $52 entry fee. Sounds like fun but is it really just an expensive BBQ... can you drop in, drop out, etc. Anything you know is helpful. Thoughts? ~ Jack
I have been to Sea Otter faithfully since 98 packing along the Wife, kids and all, and had a blast camping, my folks even have made it a few times and enjoyed it watching the bikes and checking out the venue the entire 4 days. 2005 was the last camping year for me, prices are out of control, went for just the tour last year and had fun. Have always enjoyed the MTB tours, the venue and the dealer booths really show off the latest stuff and GREAT deals can be found on gear and components. You can drop in on the tours at a few locations depending on where they start and ride along, but they do set up munchies and drinks along the tour route so it's only fair to pony up the money for the goodies.
It' just to expensive for the camping any more. Jury is still out on attending this year, parking sucks if you don't have a camp site and thats when it's good! Camping on site is the best way if you can put the money out. Like I said, I had fun, there is something going on all the time even if your not riding about 1,000 others are on the diferent tracks and DH.
It's just gotten to expensive for me. Rode some favorite trails at Planet Ord the 7th and had a great ride, and no outragous fees!
Maybe I'm just a cheap old phart any more!!

·
I am lost, I'm no guide
1,145 Posts
Yes it does

Parking has gotten better, because it is now free. However, in order to get into the festival, you need a wristband. If you are a spectator, you have to buy one, however, w/ your entry into the tour, you get atleast 2 wristbands. It's a good deal, and solved the parking nightmare that was...

·
Aussie Bob
377 Posts
Fine Print

Read the fine print you only get one wrist band per entry this year, Im lucky this year my friend has 2 sites in the good camp site with real marked sites and a table he has a bunch of family coming but theres room for me:thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.