Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Ariolimax columbianus
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't go to the Sea Otter but I ride down at Fort Ord two or more times a week. One thing that is nice is that some of the trails that are usually real sandy in some sections seem a little packed down, most notably 37/39? There is a real sandy section at the bottom of the climb that seems real packed down. I don't know if this was due to all the people riding over it or did someone do some work on the trail? One thing that sucks about the big race is that there is extra litter along the sides of the trail, most notably those little gu/gel pack things and clif/power bar wrappers. Hope you had fun.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Try not to sound so bitter. Talk to the race promoters instead.

Haven't raced in a while but they should post a sign there about bring it in and bring it out. Either that or sweep the course afterwards.

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,281 Posts
Chill out!!! I ride those trails every day. So there is a couple of extra packets of goo on the trails. Last year I saw five trucks one after another picking up goo. I think it is worth it to have one of the biggest bike expos in the world in our own back yard. It is not like you are not able to even ride up the hills because it is so trashed. It is not that bad.

·
Feeling a little taller
6,705 Posts
mtb+me said:
Chill out!!! I ride those trails every day. So there is a couple of extra packets of goo on the trails. Last year I saw five trucks one after another picking up goo. I think it is worth it to have one of the biggest bike expos in the world in our own back yard. It is not like you are not able to even ride up the hills because it is so trashed. It is not that bad.
This was also a complaint last year after the Sea Otter.

I for one plan to pick up some trail trash during my ride down there this weekend.

I personally buy Clif Shots because they have that litter leash thing. Too bad people are too lazy or incondisderate to just put the wrappers in their pockets.

On the other hand, the trails are strewn with full water bottles. Unfortunately, they were the most technical part of the downhill singletrack sections. Maybe someday it will be a mountain bike race and not just a narrow road race :p

·
Registered
167 Posts
I always put GU packets in my back pockets, it pisses me off to see the trash on the trails. I do apologize, I lost a bottle of water mixed with FRS on one of the bumpier dowhills, it just flew out of my cage. If you happen to pick it up please PM me and send it up, I wouldn't want to inconvenience your ride. Feel free to enjoy the contents of the bottle.

Sorry that the racers made a mess of your home trails, I'd be a bit pissed too, but I'd also be helping clean up the trail and talking with race promoters about cleaning. I do know that I will be down there at some point this year to do a few trail rides, loving that singletrack.

The Ito

·
Feeling a little taller
6,705 Posts
george_da_trog said:
I have enough sticky jersey pockets to know you can easily shove empty packets in your jersey pocket.

george
Since I have to wash my jerseys after each wearing, the stickiness is always gone the next time I wear them. The Clif litter leash just makes it easier to control the rip-off piece.

Since that's where I keep them when they're full, that where they go when they're empty.

·
Ride what you want!!
2,202 Posts
Dan'ger said:
Since that's where I keep them when they're full, that where they go when they're empty.
Nah nah nah... this is the way you do it. You have one pocket for full gels and then one pocket for empty gels. It's like a recycling bin in the jersey. I have enough jerseys that dirty ones end up in a pile before I get to them. And then I end up with washed gel packs floating around in the laundry.

What ever you do, don't put an empty gel pack in you shorts leg. Sticky goop down the leg that gets mixed with sweat and dirt. Especailly if you don't shave your legs.

george

·
Paper or plastic?
10,591 Posts
george_da_trog said:
Nah nah nah... this is the way you do it. You have one pocket for full gels and then one pocket for empty gels. It's like a recycling bin in the jersey. I have enough jerseys that dirty ones end up in a pile before I get to them. And then I end up with washed gel packs floating around in the laundry.

What ever you do, don't put an empty gel pack in you shorts leg. Sticky goop down the leg that gets mixed with sweat and dirt. Especailly if you don't shave your legs.

george
George, don't you shave your legs? :)

I don't know how the trails look now, but during the race, I saw very little litter on the ground (not counting bottles).

·
Feeling a little taller
6,705 Posts
george_da_trog said:

george
Assuming you have the good jerseys with 3 pockets, that works great - one for unopened gels and bars, one for cell phone or radio and one for empties. If you have the ones with one pocket, too bad for you. If you're wearing a skin-colored jersey then the only pockets you might have are the ones between the fat ripples...and you certainly don't want any gel seepage in them.

I hate having to stop and take off my pack to suck down calories or answer the phone.

·
Groveland Trail Heads
1,897 Posts
To me there is

no excuse for littering. I do not think that nativeson needs to"chill out" in fact he could have have posted something more aggressive but didn't. We mountain bike in nature that does not give us the right to throw our trash out on the trails or off the trails. Have respect for your surroundings. Those who decide to throw their trash out on the trails are apathetic and lazy. I do not and would not ride with anyone who is so selfish, lazy and apathetic. Ok, I am done with my rant.

·
Feeling a little taller
6,705 Posts
I'm a pathological litterbug - Yeah, that's tha ticket!

scheckler said:
no excuse for littering. I do not think that nativeson needs to"chill out" in fact he could have have posted something more aggressive but didn't. We mountain bike in nature that does not give us the right to throw our trash out on the trails or off the trails. Have respect for your surroundings. Those who decide to throw their trash out on the trails are apathetic and lazy. I do not and would not ride with anyone who is so selfish, lazy and apathetic. Ok, I am done with my rant.
I don't think you'll get an argument from anyone here. Nativeson doesn't need to chill out, but he's preaching to the choir so far. George and I have been joking about the jersey supplied recycling receptacles and such.

I went so far as to contact ROMP to see about a cleanup day/ride at Fort Ord. Not sure of the outcome. My crew will be riding on Saturday and I'll be bringing a garbage bag but by bike, there are only so many bottles and gu wrappers a small group of riders can carry... As was pointed out, this is something that should be addressed to the Sea Otter organizers.

·
Groveland Trail Heads
1,897 Posts
All riders

Dan'ger said:
I don't think you'll get an argument from anyone here. Nativeson doesn't need to chill out, but he's preaching to the choir so far. George and I have been joking about the jersey supplied recycling receptacles and such.

I went so far as to contact ROMP to see about a cleanup day/ride at Fort Ord. Not sure of the outcome. My crew will be riding on Saturday and I'll be bringing a garbage bag but by bike, there are only so many bottles and gu wrappers a small group of riders can carry... As was pointed out, this is something that should be addressed to the Sea Otter organizers.
should have your attitude. What you are doing is the complete opposite of selfish, apathetic and lazy. Thank you for your efforts on cleaning up. I try to pack trash as I see it on the trails in my camelback. I did enjoy your and george's comments about the "jersey supplied recycling receptacles" but do you shave your legs? :D

·
Feeling a little taller
6,705 Posts
Hell no!

scheckler said:
should have your attitude. What you are doing is the complete opposite of selfish, apathetic and lazy. Thank you for your efforts on cleaning up. I try to pack trash as I see it on the trails in my camelback. I did enjoy your and george's comments about the "jersey supplied recycling receptacles" but do you shave your legs? :D
I keep my legs unshaven as a symbol of my manhood. Additionally, I rarely ever shave my face either. I don't want to see any feminists or hippies that are revolting in this manner. That is, they would be revolting to look at IMO.

For the added wind resistance, I get natural heating for my body on night rides. I do buzz my head hair during the summer as it gets really hot under a helmet regardless of how many holes the damned things are engineered with.

My politics are not very left. I own guns and I support the NRA to some moderation. I drive an SUV but I try to carpool or bike commute when possible. I do believe in not crapping where you eat, so to speak in regards to keeping trails clean - pack it in, pack it out.

Oh, and I greatly dislike people who whine about stuff but don't lift a finger to actively correct it by using the system to their advantage, but that's a topic for a different forum.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,591 Posts
Dan'ger said:
I keep my legs unshaven as a symbol of my manhood. Additionally, I rarely ever shave my face either. I don't want to see any feminists or hippies that are revolting in this manner. That is, they would be revolting to look at IMO.

For the added wind resistance, I get natural heating for my body on night rides. I do buzz my head hair during the summer as it gets really hot under a helmet regardless of how many holes the damned things are engineered with.

My politics are not very left. I own guns and I support the NRA to some moderation. I drive an SUV but I try to carpool or bike commute when possible. I do believe in not crapping where you eat, so to speak in regards to keeping trails clean - pack it in, pack it out.

Oh, and I greatly dislike people who whine about stuff but don't lift a finger to actively correct it by using the system to their advantage, but that's a topic for a different forum.
So Dan, would that make you a right-wing, gun toting, SUV driving, car pooling, trail cleaning, environmentally conscious hairy biker? ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.