Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Trying a little
Joined
·
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For 2007, the XC 20mile lap shows way over 3000+ feet of climbing.

But I seem to recall in 2006 my riding buddy measured it at more like just under 2500'.
Maybe I'm way off.

Any of you data junkies have the facts handy on how much uphill there was in the 2006 otter course ??
 

·
Trying a little
Joined
·
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I was looking for somebody who rode it and did their own measuring. My buddy measured 2500' in 2006, way off from motionbased. If you can follow the route tomorrow and measure the uphill that would totally rock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,313 Posts
dusthuffer said:
Thanks, I was looking for somebody who rode it and did their own measuring. My buddy measured 2500' in 2006, way off from motionbased. If you can follow the route tomorrow and measure the uphill that would totally rock.
Your buddy's numbers are probably close, Motion Based number are always high.

Tomorrow we are riding only parts of the course that are on the east side. The Motion Based link I posted was just one of meny I found doing a search on there site, not one of my rides.

When I came home tonight, I had a Velo News in the mail with a Special Section, Sea Otter Classic Event Guide. The Cross Country Race Map Shows Elevation Gain : 6840 Feet :eek: I hope this is a typo ! and I better ramp up my Training
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
470 Posts
gee, I didn't realize the course had that much climbing. that explains why it was one of my hardest races last year. it didn't help that I'm from New England and it was April 8th. umm it's really cold here in March.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,381 Posts
a whole lotta feet there, huh?

jeffh said:


Your buddy's numbers are probably close, Motion Based number are always high.

Tomorrow we are riding only parts of the course that are on the east side. The Motion Based link I posted was just one of meny I found doing a search on there site, not one of my rides.

When I came home tonight, I had a Velo News in the mail with a Special Section, Sea Otter Classic Event Guide. The Cross Country Race Map Shows Elevation Gain : 6840 Feet :eek: I hope this is a typo ! and I better ramp up my Training
ditto...somebody figure this out..please:eek: :eekster: :yikes:
 

·
Trying a little
Joined
·
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for all those who replied - now why was motionbased off last year and this year? I mean, I appreciate very much whoever did that, but they may want to recalibrate their gee pee s.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
dusthuffer said:
thanks for all those who replied - now why was motionbased off last year and this year? I mean, I appreciate very much whoever did that, but they may want to recalibrate their gee pee s.
I would say the Motionbased numbers are accurate for that system.

Each method of measuring elevation gain is going to come up with different results. Most altimeter computers use air pressure change and have a filter for small changes (the old Avocet needed a 30' change before it would be recorded). Heck, I can ride the exact same route on different days using the same computer and total climb differences of several hundred feet.

The GPS systems are using the satellite readings and can come up with very different results.

If I do a route tracing in TOPO! (no GPS input) the result is different still.

I also get a different reading from a GPS track after I upload it to TOPO! than it showed on the GPS unit itself.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top