Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
It was very okay. Imagine the XC race with only the cool sections timed. First section was the downhill course, that was fun. Then we had a road climb up to the XC course and the timed section began on the fire road, and dropped into fun single track. That ended somewhere out there, then we had a road/dirt fire road climb up to somewhere on the normal XC course. The 3rd section started with a fire road climb, and then dropped into single track nearer the end of the XC course. That section ended, then we all had to ride way the heck back up the fire road to the venue. Fun, but nor really one of the best enduros I've ridden by any means. I'd probably do it again anyways though.

·
bad reputation
463 Posts
Thanks for the description, I was wondering how it would be. Tried to register a few weeks before SOC, and was surprised to find it filled up (I didn't know they had a maximum field in any events.) Oh well, always next year I guess!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I definitely wouldn't lose sleep over missing it. Fun but not the greatest race I've ever done. Pretty standard for most of the SOC races in my opinion.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
I definitely wouldn't lose sleep over missing it. Fun but not the greatest race I've ever done. Pretty standard for most of the SOC races in my opinion.
Now, if I can only figure out how to get the Downieville course transplanted to that area, we'd be set. I guess Sea Otter is more a "whole event" than a fun/challenging race.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It was very okay. Imagine the XC race with only the cool sections timed. First section was the downhill course, that was fun. Then we had a road climb up to the XC course and the timed section began on the fire road, and dropped into fun single track. That ended somewhere out there, then we had a road/dirt fire road climb up to somewhere on the normal XC course. The 3rd section started with a fire road climb, and then dropped into single track nearer the end of the XC course. That section ended, then we all had to ride way the heck back up the fire road to the venue. Fun, but nor really one of the best enduros I've ridden by any means. I'd probably do it again anyways though.
chuckb77, I just signed up for this year's enduro and it's the first race I'm doing in a long time. Can you give a little more detail about the format? How much time did you have between stages? Did you have enough time to comfortably pedal over and catch your breath, refill on water, etc.? I'm asking because I don't know if I should bring a hydration pack or if I can just bring a water bottle and refill it in between each stage.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Last year's course was not what most people expect when they think "enduro," meaning timed mostly-dh stages with untimed transfers/climbs. There was quite a bit of timed climbing. The transfers were not timed. This year, it looks like they're including the dual slalom for the final stage - which should be interesting.

·
I just wanna go fast!
1,893 Posts
Last year's course was not what most people expect when they think "enduro," meaning timed mostly-dh stages with untimed transfers/climbs. There was quite a bit of timed climbing. The transfers were not timed. This year, it looks like they're including the dual slalom for the final stage - which should be interesting.
It sounds like there's a good chance that a lot of the endruo course is being re-thought this year. I wasn't a fan of last years race and wouldn't do that again, but from what I have heard this race will be more enduro-ish and less fire road pedaling mashing-ish.

·
I just wanna go fast!
1,893 Posts
How do people like the idea of the last stage of the enduro being the slalom course?

I personally think it's kind of a bummer that there are some trails in Ord that have WAY more potential to be fun, and we are subjected to ride sketchy slalom on a enduro bike.
Eh. I'm actually ok with it. I have ridden and raced on that course on both an enduro type bike and also a slalom specific hard tail. To me it's steep enough and is technical enough to reward someone riding aggressively with good bike handling skills rather than just someone who can crank the big ring on an xc ride. Because of the lack of vert on ord, we need as much of that as we can get to help prevent the sea otter enduro from just turning into a sea otter multi-stage xc race.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm signed up for the 19-29 age group! As for the course, I am a racer and the purpose of a race is to go as fast as you can on the given terrain. Different trails and course designs have different "fun factors" but I'm not a fan of complaining about the course.

·
RIDDLELDDIR
1,285 Posts
....the purpose of a race is to go as fast as you can on the given terrain. QUOTE]

True that. But I am a fan of complaining, so in the spirit of dissatisfaction, I'd rather race out in Ord proper. I ride those trails all the time, and know them well. There are a lot of other locals in town that do too. Aside from Strava, I'd be satisfied in seeing a home town race on an international platform like Sea Otter. Makes for a good rivalry. Yeah. we can have rivalry on the slalom course, too.
Running the slalom course is rad, and I'll be there ready to take on all challengers in my class, 29 to 100 age group. Ryan, for me, in a perfect world, I'd like to see BDamschen's time versus mine on goat trail in print at the results wall.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So just to reiterate, how does the format work more specifically? Let's say after you're done with stage 2, do you have time to relax a bit and pedal slowly up to the start of stage 3? And will you have a place to grab water? Or did everyone wear a hydration pack? I'm asking mainly because my hydration pack is bulky and I'd like to just get by with one water bottle.

·
RIDDLELDDIR
1,285 Posts
So just to reiterate, how does the format work more specifically? Let's say after you're done with stage 2, do you have time to relax a bit and pedal slowly up to the start of stage 3? And will you have a place to grab water? Or did everyone wear a hydration pack? I'm asking mainly because my hydration pack is bulky and I'd like to just get by with one water bottle.
You can take your time in between stages. I personally prefer beer in between stages as both an energy drink as well as a refreshment, then after the race as a recovery drink. Stage 1, summerfest or PBR Stage 2, sierra Nevada pale ale 3, Imperial IPA

Simply put, Stage 1, line up on time, take a run, then pedal leisurely over to the next stage. This year I will have to maintain some sobriety as to avoid public humiliation on the dual slalom course.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts