Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you're not into pre-riding a course you better start. The course has really suffered from the recent rains. Ruts, Ruts, Ruts and more Ruts. Some will rival the Grand Canyon in size and if someone goes in the may not be found for days. Sand has also become a major issue.

Section One: Couch Canyon
Top section is in pretty good shape. If you recall you eventually drop down into the bottom of the canyon and cross a very small stream that had a large drain tube last year. This winter the water washed a massive trench around the pipe and as a result there is a gap of around three feet. Your first thought is I can get enough speed to jump the gap, that thought goes away quickly when you realized a giant water hole sits about five feet in front of the trench causes you to slow down and not carry enough speed. After you jump the creek you have a steep climb up the hill that cuts back and forth. They you have a bit of a single track that leads to the climb back out. The only issue here is a bit wash out area that was brought about 4,000lbs of sand down the hill. After all this you have the pleasure of Hurl Hill and then you're out on the fire road.

Section Two: After a 1/2 mile or more of fire road you ride a single track called "Outhouse" - there used to be an outhouse up there" that climbs up over the hill and then drops you down a twisty singletrack. You finsh at an intersection, turn right and head down to a long singletrack called "The Goat Trail". The goat is in decent shape, however the large pot holes with five gallons of water are everywhere. In all honesty, there are about ten of then on this trail. The last section of this trail takes you through the trees and drops you down the the first road where the "feed station" sits.

Section Three - "Boy Scout Trail" After the fire road you take a right turn and head up a trail that climbs up the hill and then you drop down to a asphalt road. Last year this was a wide trail that had tons of ruts. A few riders got a trip in a pretty white and red van with lights last year after going over the bars. That trail is gone !!!! They covered up the trail and built a new single track in its place. The trail has been off limits so far to biking so I can't give up an updates on this one.

Section Four: The sandy single track climb on the other side of the asphalt road. Guess what.... its still VERY sandy. They also modified this one a bit to climb over the mountain, not around it like last year.

Section Five: You go across the asphalt again and back onto a bumpy singletrack and takes you around the mountain to a top ridge. You ride the ridge and eventually take a left hand turn and hit a climbing single track. From here to the three hills the locals call the three sisters is MAJOR sand. If you pick the right line you can power through it, it you don't you're off the bike pushing by foot.

Section Six: The three sisters. The are still there.... at much more rutted that last year. After the last sister you go down hill a bit and then you have a steep downhill that takes to to the start of the trail known as eWok. This is the same intersection you pass when you come down "Outhouse" . Be careful going down the steep hill, some of the ruts can grab your front tire and end you ride much earlier than you planned. Once you're on Outhouse enjoy the ride, because hell or "The Grind" is not far away.

Section Seven: After completing outhouse you turn left on a fireroad and go about 500 yards to the bottom of "The Grind" This is the 4 mile climb back to the track. This is in the same shape as last year.

The End: They build something that looks like a DAM at the top of the Grind. Last year we went through a gate and right to the track. At this point they built a massive dam and a road up and over it. I believe we will take that road into the track.

Heading out to ride the whole course tomorrow. When they actually mark the course I will update this thread.

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
Thanks for the update; I'm underwhelmed..

Just did a Nisene Marks ride and struggled through the sticky mud just to get to Sand Point (did someone say 34:20?). Still it's was better than work, or worse, "not riding".

1G1G, Brad

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Course looked pretty good yesterday. A few mud puddles still persist, but all are passable. Sand is there in spots, but overall not too terrible. If the weather stays nice I would imagine all of the water will be gone by race day. The three sisters are really in poor shape and there are a couple of snadpits that are hike a bike for geared and ss alike. I ran the course on 32x18 and didn't think it too terrible until that fire road back to the track, but that was more me bonking than the gear being innapropriate.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Check in to the Nor-Cal board.......

- After the Goat trail/Feed-Station - the course goes up Boyscout and takes a Left up a sandy ST to a Hike-a bike then UP Sandy Ridge (reverse of last year(s) course) then follows the Fireroads down the Left side (again, same way everyone climbed last year(s))
to the Old Reservation road where you'll turn Left, descend, then turn Left again and begin some more fireroad w/sand up to Manzanita trail and then Standard S.O. course from there on in - Manzanita to 3 b*tch*s to Ewok to The Grind, Done, Enjoy! :D

- Wed. 6pm Pre-Ride from 7-11 off of Portola Dr., bring a light, mix of SS & Gearies, fun, fun, fun......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.