Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if Ft. Ord will be open to slowpoke trail riding during Sea Otter in April? I'm planning on going as a spectator but don't know whether I should bring my bike with me since I'm not competing. Thanks!

Jack

·
just another bleepin SSer
1,463 Posts
Yeah, bring your bike. It makes getting around the festival a lot easier. And so long as you don't get in the way of racers, the trails are open.

But no doing stunts in the crowded areas, please. My girlfriend got run into last year by a nimrod that decided to do a wheely in the middle of the team pit area, and lost control of the bike.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Definately bring your bike. I might get flamed for this, but I say you just go on the course yourself during non-race times and follow the signs. there will probably be pre-riders out there also if you go before sunday. Check what time the begginner xc races start on saturday and try to avoid them. Avoid the course on sunday as xc races go on all day.

Ive done the MTB tour (paid), and didn't think it was worth it. In the past the tour was held on saturdays, and many of the sunday xc racers were doing their own pre-rides. I missed the "official" start and I pretty much followed the signs, caught some of the families, and was on my own, and in the end, the only benefit was that it included a $7 lunch and a pass to get into the festival itself.

Hit up couch canyon and goat (trails the racers/pre-riders avoid).

·
Outrageously happy
71 Posts
rhino biker said:
Cool... thanks guys. I checked out the MTB Tour event... not a race but a tour. $52 entry fee. Worth it? Thoughts?
Worth it? Definitely! This will be my first year there, too. A spring day to hang out with a bunch of MTB freaks, go for a ride, have some BBQ. Some of the funds go to a good cause. Sounds like a winner!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Bring your bike and enjoy

Fort Ord is about 15,000 acres. The sea otter course only touches a small amount of the available trails. Ninety percent of all the people attending will pre-ride but won't explore the other areas. Therefore bring your bike and make the decision when you get there.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts
When the Sea Otter weekend gets closer, there'll be lots of talk about the event in here.

More than one group ride gets organized around that time.

I know in years past there has been large 'Single Speed' group rides that hit up the course and/or it's surrounding trails.

We did a Vintage MTB ride last year (I was cold and rainy as all hell) that doubled as a course pre ride on Friday afternoon.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts
rhino biker said:
looks like a bunch of hardtails in the photo... i guess i can leave the fs bike home. ~jack
Yeah...IMO, you don't need full suspension for that course.

Just depends on what kind of rider you are and how serious you're taking the 'race'.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.