Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My SE Stout just arrived, and everything but the chain is easy enough to get done.

How do you properly tension the chain and center the rear wheel?

·
Registered
9 Posts
The chain has to be joined through the frame like that because the rear cog will go on the inside of the rear wheel mount and the front sprocket is on the outside. You may have figured this out by now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
mikemck said:
My SE Stout just arrived, and everything but the chain is easy enough to get done.

How do you properly tension the chain and center the rear wheel?
There should be a chain tensioner that came in the box that mounts on the cog side wheel nut and presses on the back of the frame loop. check the box real good as it is a small item. Maybe in the bag with the manual?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DUH, okay, I got it. I should have put the rear wheel on, and I would have seen that the chain is exactly where it needed to go.

About the chain tension, I think I've got it set about right, or close to it.

There is a small bag with a couple of screws, a rubber strip, and a small s curved piece of metal. I assume the screws and rubber strip are for the reflectors, but I'm at a loss on the S curved piece of metal. Is that a chain tension tool of some sort?

·
Registered
9 Posts
mikemck said:
DUH, okay, I got it. I should have put the rear wheel on, and I would have seen that the chain is exactly where it needed to go.

About the chain tension, I think I've got it set about right, or close to it.

There is a small bag with a couple of screws, a rubber strip, and a small s curved piece of metal. I assume the screws and rubber strip are for the reflectors, but I'm at a loss on the S curved piece of metal. Is that a chain tension tool of some sort?
I didn't use the reflectors and I still can't figure out what the rubber strips are for. I will take a pic of the chain tensioner and how it goes... stand by...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Excellent pic, and much appreciated.

Hmm..there was nothing like that in the box, or anywhere else. I see exactly how it works though. I'll have to buy one, I guess.
Where might I order one like that, any idea?

I took the reflectors off the wheels, and threw all the reflectors in the trash.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hmmmm, I don't know what to tell ya. Check your local bike shop or the usual places on-line. Maybe try and contact SE Bikes directly or the company you got the bike from... JensonUSA?

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
mikemck said:
I assumed that the S curved piece of metal is a chain guard. I haven't seen any pictures on one actually mounted on a bike.

Tim

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wombat said:
I assumed that the S curved piece of metal is a chain guard. I haven't seen any pictures on one actually mounted on a bike.

Tim
The chainguard that comes with the SE Stout is a smoke colored plastic one. I did not use that either.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I absolutely love it.

No gears fumble around with, no derailleurs to adjust or worry about banging up, and 29 tires just eat up the road. Although I didn't know it, it's what I've been looking from the beginning.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts