Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks

I bought a 2010 SE Stout to try the 29er experience, I got the Stout because you can not go wrong considering the reviews and the price, since I need to go 3x9 due to trails I use to ride, I need hang a front derailleur but since there are no cable guides for that purpose I have two choices a the first is brass/weld the guides to the frame or rivet some guides that I took off from a carbon frame.
Has any one have gone through this and solve the problem successfully ??

Any Pics ??

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
You can bet I need it, one of the tralis I ride often has a nearly 40 degrees of inclination in some points.
My question regards more about to drill or not some holes on a 4130 steel frame in order to set the cable guides like those ones

·
Registered
390 Posts
you discovered the only hard part in gearing a stout...no front cable stops.

i ran mine 1x9 for a short while & there was not much i could not get up (& i am not that strong of a rider) but i went back to ss & am happier that way.

maybe a bigger cog would help you for ssing or a bigger chainring would make 1x9 work for you?

if you absolutely have to have a fd...do not drill your frame,
you can buy clamp-on cable-stops from lotsa places like jagwire, surly, origin 8, etc. se even offers after-market cable clips.

good luck...

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guys let me be clear on that, I would like to run the Stout SS but I can not ride ride with the pack as it is right now, said that I was guessing I could use some new generation epoxic glue?
I like the way those guides looks and I have them so if I can use them I would like to try

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.