Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Road some of the Copicut trails today for an hour. LOVED THEM! parked at the Copicut Woods lot. rode horseshoe then turned left onto CH7. Note there is a tree down on horseshoe that you need to dismount and climb over. followed CH7 up past CH3 then the trail got pretty wet. i think there was a line around / past the water but I decided to stay dry and turn around. On the way back cut over to CH9 and rode that. Great mix of all types of terrain with the exception of any really steep climbs. I came from Fairhaven, took the Reed Rd exit and should have parked at Millers Brook lot but kept going then turn left onto Indian Town Rd. Glad I have a 4x4 truck : )
We've been working like mad to keep the blowdowns at bay, but there are still hundreds of dead oaks standing. I'm pretty sure this last storm will take at least a few out. Expect some blowdowns, but we'll be cutting them pretty regularly.

The wet spot between CH 5 and CH6 is on my list. There really isn't any room to reroute so I plan on just fixing up the line around it.

I warned you about driving on the rough roads :nono: I'm glad you had a truck. ;)

New trails to try out?

Nice! :thumbsup:
Not really new, just refurbished.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i think it will be extremely hard to keep up with all the falling dead in this forest......i have been out there over a dozen times with good result for a short time until more dead had fallen, and why does it always have to fall across the trail.........the other hard part is the amount of time it takes........i hope you have a team...there's always people that say they wana, wana, wana help.....but when it comes down to go there never there.........

·
Registered
8 Posts
not to sound negative with that previous entry.......its great that your out there, and i hope you get the help needed to clear the trails......if you can let me know when you can or will be out there, and i will try to lend a hand.......i have a full size family that makes times when i want to get out tough....but i do get a random day here and there.........

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
not to sound negative with that previous entry.......its great that your out there, and i hope you get the help needed to clear the trails......if you can let me know when you can or will be out there, and i will try to lend a hand.......i have a full size family that makes times when i want to get out tough....but i do get a random day here and there.........
No problem, you're right about the number of dead trees and keeping up with them. Dougiestares and I had been trying unsuccessfully to keep these trails clear for a couple of years. It wasn't until we teamed up and started getting a few other people out there that we caught up enough to actually do a nice long ride without getting off the bike every tenth of a mile. I gotta credit Stuntman Mike too, he's done a lot.

I think just getting a team out there has been huge. While working we bumped into another guy who had been plugging away, but he had just gotten discouraged. Now that we've made a dent he's carrying his hand saw again. We also saw evidence of someone else who chainsawed a bunch of stuff. Still don't know who did that, but it seems like everyone who rides here is pitching in a little bit. There are still a lot of dead trees standing, but there are only so many, eventually they will all fall.

There will be more trailwork days. I really want to keep the ball rolling, keep these trails clear, and get to a couple of other nearby trails that really need it.

Hopefully the snow melts off, but I'm not optimistic. I have a feeling its gonna be fatbike season for a while.

·
Registered
8 Posts
cool....i will keep an eye on the forum so i can get on one of those trail work days...........once i see whats going on and what wants to be achieved, i am a total animal when i comes to trail work, haha

say do you know the fella out there that leaves those lizard tags on some of the trails....you might have seen one hanging from a branch, about eye level......???

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm the one that usually maintains some trails on the motorcycle side. I used to maintain one that is within the pink area but when I went there last year it seemed someone claimed it so I let them have at it. I haven't been back to chain saw as it was hunting season and the hunters don't like a saw running while they are stalking prey. And I can't do Sundays. I usually start trimming in March and yes, there is alot of deadfall but if you love to ride there, it's never been a problem. I mark the areas on my gps and head back. Have to say when I headed back the last time, I only cut two trees as the rest were cleared. Kudos!

The only problem I see going forward is when spring comes around and it's dirt bike season, that map doesn't really tell you clearly where motos are allowed. In the past there has been some really chewed up spots (Edmunds House and Grinnell) but it was done by trucks and quads than mx. Go figure. I sometimes ride with mx on the other side as I have friends that ride, but really...how is that going to be enforced?

BTW..in honor of Dougiestares, the trail that loops between Indian Town (I think) Rd and the Power lines is named the Dougie Trail. Since it had no name, we had to call it something...

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I'm the one that usually maintains some trails on the motorcycle side.
Awesome, thanks, I really just started working in earnest last year. It wasn't until this fall that things really started moving.

The only problem I see going forward is when spring comes around and it's dirt bike season, that map doesn't really tell you clearly where motos are allowed. In the past there has been some really chewed up spots (Edmunds House and Grinnell) but it was done by trucks and quads than mx. Go figure. I sometimes ride with mx on the other side as I have friends that ride, but really...how is that going to be enforced?
Funny, I talked to Mike at the Watuppa res about this today. He really wants to crack down on illegal motorized use. Mostly he is pissed about the 4x4 and quads. He's working with the gas and elec companies to gate off their access roads.

But he mentioned that its easier to get grants for moto trails than hiking/biking. On account of there are only 3-4 parks in MA that can apply for those funds as opposed to 80 parks fighting for the hiking trail money. Less competition for federal recreational trail money and the state has a certain percentage they have to spend on motorized trails.

As far as the moto's, I think the plan might be to mark the moto trail better and put signs in place to keep the motos in the northern part of the bioreserve, basically the State Forest. There are 6 choke points we've found to put up signs that would keep the moto's out of the southern part of the forest. Obviously some people will ride it anyway, but I think that most or at least many will respect the signs. But like said, a few motos are not going to ruin the trails. He also wants the state to help fix some of the rutting in the ledge area. I suggested rock armoring for some of the really deep ruts and he seemed to like that idea. Then plant or reclaim the stuff on the sides to narrow the trails. The idea is to fix up the moto trail so that the motos will want to ride it and not the "illegal" stuff. Will it work? I think so, for the most part, if it gets done.

Enforcement is up the environmental police. They do patrol it, but I admit its spotty. I think fixing up and marking the moto loop, as well as signs marking the "boundaries" is the best bet. There's plenty of room for bikes and motos out there.

BTW..in honor of Dougiestares, the trail that loops between Indian Town (I think) Rd and the Power lines is named the Dougie Trail. Since it had no name, we had to call it something...
Nice, the Dougie Trail. I second (or third or whatever) that one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
He also wants the state to help fix some of the rutting in the ledge area. I suggested rock armoring for some of the really deep ruts and he seemed to like that idea. Then plant or reclaim the stuff on the sides to narrow the trails. The idea is to fix up the moto trail so that the motos will want to ride it and not the "illegal" stuff. Will it work? I think so, for the most part, if it gets done.

Enforcement is up the environmental police. They do patrol it, but I admit its spotty. I think fixing up and marking the moto loop, as well as signs marking the "boundaries" is the best bet. There's plenty of room for bikes and motos out there.

i think as long as you have riders that are going to go out after a soaking rain......the trail maintenance would be destroyed as fast as it was made.....

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
i think as long as you have riders that are going to go out after a soaking rain......the trail maintenance would be destroyed as fast as it was made.....
For sure, that's one of the biggest issues with the moto's, they don't respect the "don't ride wet trails rule", I don't think they even think about it. Thats why I haven't put any effort into any of the trails that are commonly ridden by moto's.

Anyway the HS signs are up and I'm starting on BR. Doug and I pruned some of the trails behind Bell Rock and around the Esker Trail too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i just got a map today.......really nice..........if i think of it i will post a map that i had made up from the old freetown forest map.............hope i can find it

where is Esker T. on the map....??

i might be able to get out there on tuesday...are there any trails in mind that would need pruning??

·
Registered
13 Posts
It doesn't matter when they ride as there are many areas in the forest that either have an underground spring or a high water table, where the dirt until someone gets a little stuck and throttttllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeee until they are unstuck. You are right about posting signs and having most people turn around, that has been one of the complaints my mx friends have had, they didn't know what was off limits.

I have photos of Edmunds House Trail that are dug out due to motorized vehicles (notice the word VEHICLE) nailing it to get out. This was always a little damp 4-5 years ago, and late this summer it was awful. I haven't been down there as it is a highly hunted area, and with the closing of deer season, I will probably go and will take some pics. This is one area that would highly benefit from narrowing it down using either blueberry bushes (all over the place there) or saplings. Not high on the list but would be a good project.

I have experience writing grants (not my regular job but it's my way of giving back), mostly for 501c3 nonprofits, if the Wattupa res needs some help let me know, I do it for free for the things I love (animals and bikes). I also maintained trails out west for a long time, so I still have some grant connections and resources should you need it.

BTW Chris, I think the Esker Trail is across from the Mill Pond off of Bell Rock. I had initially thought they 'closed' these trails as they piled dirt up in front of them when they paved. I hope it's gone.

An additional BTW...two actually -1) WHAT were all the wooden stacks of rather LARGE looking railroad ties by the power station about a month ago (I got the flu haven't been back yet) and 2) What's going on with the big dig south of the mx parking lot on Bell Rock Road? I think that's south anyway...

·
Registered
8 Posts
BTW Chris, I think the Esker Trail is across from the Mill Pond off of Bell Rock. I had initially thought they 'closed' these trails as they piled dirt up in front of them when they paved. I hope it's gone.

An additional BTW...two actually -1) WHAT were all the wooden stacks of rather LARGE looking railroad ties by the power station about a month ago (I got the flu haven't been back yet) and 2) What's going on with the big dig south of the mx parking lot on Bell Rock Road? I think that's south anyway...
Mill Pond, i know that.......but is the Esker Trail "br2" or "br1"........br2 to me and the wednesday night freetown riders is known as the Hiking Trail,......from Bell Rock it has a "only if you know its there kinda entrance".....and br1 had the old ratty sign hung across the entrance...if i remember right it was more a double track.......at the point from bell rock where they meet @ br3...has anyone seen the little lizardman tag ?? is that Esker ??

Again if there are any trails in mind for the near future........i would love to get out there and help........

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
It doesn't matter when they ride as there are many areas in the forest that either have an underground spring or a high water table, where the dirt until someone gets a little stuck and throttttllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeee until they are unstuck. You are right about posting signs and having most people turn around, that has been one of the complaints my mx friends have had, they didn't know what was off limits.
I agree, signs are the first step, and as far as those spots where its wet practically all the time, I suggested rock armoring to the land manager. He really liked that idea. Its a big project so who knows if it will happen.

I have photos of Edmunds House Trail that are dug out due to motorized vehicles (notice the word VEHICLE) nailing it to get out. This was always a little damp 4-5 years ago, and late this summer it was awful. I haven't been down there as it is a highly hunted area, and with the closing of deer season, I will probably go and will take some pics. This is one area that would highly benefit from narrowing it down using either blueberry bushes (all over the place there) or saplings. Not high on the list but would be a good project.
Too bad, I liked doing that loop out to the gas line and by the boiling spring trail (its the trail that comes out by the rod and gun club). Agreed, a worthy project but not high on the list.

I have experience writing grants (not my regular job but it's my way of giving back), mostly for 501c3 nonprofits, if the Wattupa res needs some help let me know, I do it for free for the things I love (animals and bikes). I also maintained trails out west for a long time, so I still have some grant connections and resources should you need it.
Great, I meet with Mike from the Watuppa res every thursday. I'll mention this to him and bug him to get some signs for the moto trail again.

Yep thats the Esker trail. Its marked as "feature" #6 on the map. The dirt is gone and these trails are definitely still open.

1. Electrical company is fixing up their lines. They use the huge railroad ties to make temporary bridges over the wet spots.

2. The "big dig" is private property. As far as I know he's excavating aggregate and plans on building houses (or selling lots) there when thats done.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Mill Pond, i know that.......but is the Esker Trail "br2" or "br1"........br2 to me and the wednesday night freetown riders is known as the Hiking Trail,......from Bell Rock it has a "only if you know its there kinda entrance".....and br1 had the old ratty sign hung across the entrance...if i remember right it was more a double track.......at the point from bell rock where they meet @ br3...has anyone seen the little lizardman tag ?? is that Esker ??

Again if there are any trails in mind for the near future........i would love to get out there and help........
Esker trail is BR2. BR1 is more of a double track and flatter and wetter.

I haven't seen the lizardman tag yet.

As far as the next trails on the list, I'd like to get the trail from BR11 to BR7 cleared. Its got a lot of blowdowns and is getting overgrown. Its really technical. Also there is an trail that is not on the map that I'd like to clear. If you head dead south from BR4 and cross Canfield trail there is a faint old singletrack that goes south then turns west and comes out on Bell Rock road just south of the Canfield Trail lot. There is an old white rug on the side of the road right near the trailhead on Bell Rock. Its a nice singletrack, but its gonna need a lot of pruning and cutting. I was saving both those trails for trailwork days because they are such big jobs, but if you want to go chip away at them, go for it.

Other than that, go nuts, clear your favorite trail. Every little bit helps.

Also, I was talking to Bob at Bikeworks the other day, found out that you are one of the "two guys". That's a great trail. I was blown away by how much digging and sculpting you guys did. The trails I built out there were more of a rake and ride deal. They took years to get burned in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
On BR11 to BR7 - I have tried to ride that trail a long time ago and that's when I decided there were only so many trails, so little time. This would be a great one to clear.

The other faint one with the white rug, I'm thinking that's what has been named the Hanger Eater as well...I tried to ride it then walk it then single speed it back as I bent my hanger. If you go across Bell Rock from that area, there are a set of trails that are 'sort of' on the map and are alot of fun. Those are the ones I usually maintain. Haven't been out but I probably will sometime this week or the next now that hunting is done.

Thanks for answering my two questions. Maybe I will buy a lot when they go up for sale. Can you imagine jetting out your back door into the forest? YES! And I wouldn't have to figure out where to park to night ride.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Also, post if you are going to have another trail day. I have a 20 inch saw. And a couple of hand saws. I might be there on Sunday at the trail across the road from Cantfield.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Nice, I'm glad you agree on those trails. We've got the stuff from hunters lot down to copicut woods pretty much clear. After those next 2 trails I mentioned, the plan is to expand over into the DD trails. Which aren't that bad, thanks to you.

I used to dream about buying one of those lots up by the triangle when they were for sale, but it just wasn't realistic at the time. I'm pretty much settled here in Westport, but living in the middle of the forest like that would be a mountain bikers dream. From that spot you could probably ride 25 miles out your back door without touching pavement. Not too bad.

I'm not sure if I can make it out there sunday, I'll get back to you if I can.

21 - 40 of 225 Posts