Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for feedback from anyone that has used either of these saddles, or better yet tried both. I'm about 185lbs. My current saddle is the regular Bontrager Race (not Lite, or X Lite) which isn't all that bad, but could be a bit better for comfort. Dimension-wise, it seems decent (140x260ish).

SDG Bel-Air RL Ti (240g) - I've found for $59

WTB Rocket V SLT (210g) - I've found for $89

Mostly looking for feedback on comfort agressive trail/all-mountain riding (incl descents/climbing/pedaling - the whole gamut). I often get behind my saddle for descents so quick through the legs ability is probably a good thing. Not looking for marathon (like 4hrs +) level comfort, although also more than short XC racing level comfort.

P.S. I'm also curious about the SDG Ti Fly C - although I'm thinking it's too narrow and/or hardcore for trail riding - but I could be wrong...

thnx :thumbsup:

·
Registered
837 Posts
the reality is it depends on your sit bones. i just wore out an sdg bel air. but for me it wasn't as comfy as the wtb saddles i've had and have now. the sdg profile is a bit more like a rainbow side to side, and the wtb saddles are flatter across. you have to look at what you have now and it's general shape and how it felt. some are more happy with the sdg shape. make your best guess and try it. if it feels like the proverbial log splitter :eekster: than sell it off and try again. ya gotta figure out whats best for you cause were all a little different under there. :cornut:

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Saddles are personal fit item, the only person who can tell which one is best is your butt.

I actually prefer the Rocket V team/pro saddle over the stealth because the stitching on the stealth can feel harsh after a long day in the saddle. The seamless design of the team/pro is more comfortable. For all mountain riding the Pure V is a much more comfortable saddle, the Rocket is like a borderline xc saddle to me.

Haven't owned a SDG in years, been using Specialized and WTB lately. The latest I-beam i sat on seem fairly comfortable.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have exactly both of those models on my Giant Reign. I have swapped between them a few times now. Today I did a 25km race on the SDG and my butt has never hurt this bad. I can definitely say the WTB is more comfy than the SDG.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Has anyone tried the WTB Devo? Despite it being flat - all the review I've read seem really positive. And I can see the Devo allowing ease of sliding off the back for some descents.

cheers

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
MI_canuck said:
Has anyone tried the WTB Devo? Despite it being flat - all the review I've read seem really positive. And I can see the Devo allowing ease of sliding off the back for some descents.

cheers
The devo is a race saddle. If you have trouble getting off the back of a saddle you may have to lower the saddle on descends. look at a gravity dropper or Joplin.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I have both of the SDG's you refer to the SDG Bel-Air RL Ti is my favourite of the two, the SDG Ti Fly C is light and fairly comfortable but your butt bones do tend to feel it towards a couple of hours, I had the carbon Fly,and carbon I beam that was soooo hard, I always had a pain with that one oooh!!

·
Registered
712 Posts
MI_canuck said:
Looking for feedback from anyone that has used either of these saddles, or better yet tried both. I'm about 185lbs. My current saddle is the regular Bontrager Race (not Lite, or X Lite) which isn't all that bad, but could be a bit better for comfort. Dimension-wise, it seems decent (140x260ish).

SDG Bel-Air RL Ti (240g) - I've found for $59

WTB Rocket V SLT (210g) - I've found for $89

Mostly looking for feedback on comfort agressive trail/all-mountain riding (incl descents/climbing/pedaling - the whole gamut). I often get behind my saddle for descents so quick through the legs ability is probably a good thing. Not looking for marathon (like 4hrs +) level comfort, although also more than short XC racing level comfort.

I weigh the same as you and have owned both of these, the bel air i sold to a friend and the rocket is in the garage somewhere.

The saddle to own is the WTB Pure V, sooo comfortable, i have three now. The SLT version (which is slightly smaller) is on my light bike, would not even consider another saddle, this is the one for me.

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
tried the rocket v...nice saddle but doesn't fit my bum so well.

tried the SDG bel-air....one of the most uncomfortable saddles ever. not just the fit either...damn thing wouldn't break in and felt like it magnified every little bump.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Well I ordered and tried an SDG Bel-Air RL. One ride around the block and it came off and returned back to Jenson the same day. I did not like it at all - as I found the cross-section profile to be too round. I find my Bontrager Race saddle (came standard with the bike) - which has a flatter side-to-side profile - to be more comfy - so will stick with that for now. For short rides it's actually not bad at all now that i've compared it to something not so good (ie. the Bel-Air). On 15+ mile rides the Bonty Race starts to get a bit uncomfortable (it's got decent padding but not a ton) - but I don't know many saddles out there that wouldn't without having a ton of padding.

I might try the Bontrager Race Lux or CRZ next (same as the regular Race, just more padding - the CRZ adds a relief hole). Although if I come across a good deal on a Rocket V SLT or Team, might try that as they seem much flatter side-to-side that the SDG Bel-Air. There's also the Ti-Fly C that looks like it might have a flat enough profile.

cheers

[EDIT: and to those thinking of buying a Bel-Air RL Ti - (ie. titanium rails) - claimed by SDG to be 260g... I weighed it and came out to be 270grams...]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.