Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody tried this recently? Can you get by the landslide now? Can any cars do it or just 4wd? Does it appear dangerous?

Thanks.

·
rider
2,356 Posts
I just rode Nicene-Demo-Nicene on Tuesday, starting and ending in Aptos. When I came out of Demo onto Highland and turned right to climb back up to the top of the overlook via Buzzard's there was ZERO traffic. It was sweet having the road to myself but also rather strange.

Based on the above experience I think it's pretty safe to say that Highland is still closed. To know for sure just call the local CHP office. That or take the time to get up there via Empire Canyon Rd. via Corralitos. Or you could just ride up via Nicene like I did... it's a nice little spin!

29erchico

·
Registered
710 Posts
Quasi said:
Has anybody tried this recently? Can you get by the landslide now? Can any cars do it or just 4wd? Does it appear dangerous?

Thanks.
I drove in Tuesday morning from Summit/Highland. There are big signs that state the road is closed, although somebody has cleared enough to easily drive a car through (I drive a Toyota Avalon). From other e-mails I've seen I'm guessing it was locals that cleared it, and the road is still 'technically' closed.

-Derek

·
Registered
21 Posts
Pictures of the landslide

Someone named Ken on the mbosc list sent out these pictures that he took of Highland Way this Monday. (I thought they were pretty cool as I never knew that person's driveway was so long!)

https://www.adelman.com/_DSC3177.jpg
https://www.adelman.com/_DSC3178.jpg

The road is technically closed and I do see people who do not want to risk driving across leaving their vehicles on the other side of the landslide.

·
bike buster
1,196 Posts
I rode there last Thursday. The road is 'officially closed' because of the middle and largest slide. The one before and after that one don't look so bad. There were crews of people working on the road when I passed. I talked to the lady who stopped me with a stop sign and she said the road is closed because it is 'being undercut' -- basically meaning the land under the road is falling down the mountain and could go anytime, now. However, it was easily passable in my Saturn. Get across fast and make sure you know how to get out the long way! :-D

Justin

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Excellent info, thanks all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts