Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
hispanic mechanic
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For certain reasons, I want to ride 34 (or more) miles today. As a full blown neo-Luddite, I don't own a bike computer. Anyone know the mileage of Sycamore Canyon ridden from Medina?
Thanks!

the los

·
PITY THE FOOL!
288 Posts
Is Medina the residential street where everyone parks?

I usually start at the school in Santee and ride through up the canyon, up the fireroad to the parking area, connect onto Marthas and then head back to the car. I believe that route is in the 18 mile range but don't hold me to that exact number.

When you come off Marthas you can hang a left and climb up the fireroad to the top of the ridge then drop back down into the canyon after riding along the ridge. I don't think that adds much mileage but the climb is definitely more of a challange than just cruising back throught the canyon.

·
Registered
242 Posts
World's tallest weeds

You are right about the mileage. 18 from Mast Blvd(school parking), or 15ish from Medina. Check out www.mountainbikebill.com for directions to Tip Top. I sometimes do Tip Top back down through Martha's and then climb up the ridge and back to Medina, which comes in around 19 miles, with some good climbing. Or you could loop Martha's 5 times for the extra 10 miles to get close to 30 total.

I rode out there yesterday on my new SS, and man is it overgrown in spots. I did the newer trails on both the West and East side of the canyon before the gate, and by the time I got back to the truck my arms and legs were very red and welting from getting wipped by all the growth. The trails are in great condition, but man did I itch the rest of the night. Can you say hydrocortisone?

Also, has anyone noticed that the fireroads in places like Sycamore, Upper Mission Trails, and Spring Canyon, have really benefited from all the growth? In many places big wide freeways are now skinny singletrack.

·
"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
1,317 Posts
it depends on the route

if you start at the end of Medina it's just about 5 miles exactly to the gate, another 5 from the gate to the upper parking lot and down martha's back to the gate, and 5 back to the street for 15 miles. if you park at the high school you can add on another 2-3 to the total. if you go from the upper parking lot and do a counter clockwise loop around the big hill (take the first dirt driveway on the right and take the first right turn but all lefts after that) you can tack on another three.

if you go down Martha's and then head up Cardiac you can add some mileage that way too.

if you're itching for some mileage, you can alwasy do marthas and then head down to MT and do an out and back up Spring canyon. that'll add another 12 or so.

YR

·
1,317 Posts
man is that the truth

the weeds are focking huge! ST is impossible to see at times and those mustard plants like to grab my bar ends and pull me unexptectedly to either side. Nice and itchy too but thankfully no poison oak.

I haven't done tip Top since the rains. there was one section that was heinous before so I'm kind of scared to see what it looks like now. I'll make it up there one of these days.

For what it's worth, somebody took a weedwacker or something to a good portion of the new ST on the right of the fireroad if you're heading towards the gate. They didn't go all the way but where they did use it was a great help.

Also for what it's worth, the martha's DH is finally coming back to something reasonably difficult since the sanitization performed over the winter. all the people skidding down it out of control has really improved it from teh paved freeway it was for a while.

YR

·
Its only 1" on the map!
1,161 Posts
sslos said:
For certain reasons, I want to ride 34 (or more) miles today. As a full blown neo-Luddite, I don't own a bike computer. Anyone know the mileage of Sycamore Canyon ridden from Medina?
Thanks!

the los
Like everyone else said you can get about 19 miles out there. I know there is a connecter to Spring - Oak somewhere around there (but have never attempted it). You could just hop in the car after Media-Sycamore and drive the 5 mins over to Mission Trails and so more riding,

·
1,317 Posts
Drive?

mtbbill said:
Like everyone else said you can get about 19 miles out there. I know there is a connecter to Spring - Oak somewhere around there (but have never attempted it). You could just hop in the car after Media-Sycamore and drive the 5 mins over to Mission Trails and so more riding,
When Miles had his shop at the corner of Mission Trails and Jackson, one of our regular night rides was from teh shop to Martha's. about 26 miles. The only real pavement is on Mast Blvd (and through Mission Gorge if you're going that far) You can take trails along Medina the whole way to the park so it could be done all by bike if you were connecting Spring and/or Oak Canyons

YR

·
1,317 Posts
who far is it

mtbbill said:
if you add Cardiac and the RoCkY rIdGe? I know if you just do the regular Medina start adn add Tip Top it's about 18 miles and change. if you also added in Cardiac and the ridge do you pick up any mileage or is it really just swapping miles without gaining any?

YR

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Thursday night??

Are you riding Thurs. night? I'll TRY to show. Maybe I'll bring the water of life this time.
Is Ernie having a Cinco de Mayo fiesta?
I think I should bring Bohemia for the shop.
sslos said:
Thanks!

the los

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.