Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a recent opportunity to fly to Hawaii for a 10 day work trip and I wanted to bring my mountain bike. Well, United Charges $85 each way. Who wants to pay $170 to fly your bike, oh and by the way if its over 50 lbs, you pay extra. If your mountainbike is say 30lbs, your case cannot be more than 20 lbs. A tri sport case weights 38-35 lbs, a team performace case weights 26 lbs. Remember, this does not include anything else, like shoes, tools, etc. I flew to Florida once for a business trip, and after packing my ride, the box was close to 100 lbs (included all my gear, tools, clothes, etc). So I was faced with this challenge, how to get my bike to Hawaii without paying $170-250.
Step 1 - see how much baggage you can pack and limitations
Step 2 - pack your bike in that envelope

So, step one says I can pack two bags each up to 50 lbs in weight and under 62 linear inches. Ok, find a wheel bag that fits that, fill it with wheels and as much crap as you can and set it aside. Dissassemble the bike, pad, and pack into another bag. Check the scales, pack minimal tools, and enjoy your trip. Make sure you pad the heck out of everything, tape comes in handy, as well as zip ties, foam pads, towels, clothes, etc.

Once again, I would like to say a big FU to all the airlines that do whatever they can the scrape money from the consumer and treat us like cattle.

Ted

United Airline's Bicycle Policy:
Bicycle
Non-motorized bicycle must be prepared for travel by the customer. United does not provide tools. Handlebars must be turned sideways and protruding pedals and accessories must be removed. The bicycle must be contained in a protective/durable case, bag or box.
Within U.S./Canada: $85.00 USD 50 pounds/ 62 linear inches

United Airlines Checked Baggage Policy

For travel on United you may check two bags free of charge within the U.S. 50 states and to/from Canada, San Juan, Puerto Rico and St. Thomas U.S.V.I.
The maximum size of each checked bag is 62 inches/158cm (length + width + height).
The maximum weight per checked bag is 50 pounds/23kg each.

Attachments

·
Registered
287 Posts
i've been struggling with this one for a while. most of the time i just pay the airline since i hate riding a new trail with an unfamiliar bike. anyway, high end rentals can cost more than $200 if you're on a 3+ day trip. nice tip. thanks.

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,700 Posts
endo-boy said:
I had a recent opportunity to fly to Hawaii for a 10 day work trip and I wanted to bring my mountain bike. Well, United Charges $85 each way. Who wants to pay $170 to fly your bike, oh and by the way if its over 50 lbs, you pay extra. If your mountainbike is say 30lbs, your case cannot be more than 20 lbs. A tri sport case weights 38-35 lbs, a team performace case weights 26 lbs. Remember, this does not include anything else, like shoes, tools, etc. I flew to Florida once for a business trip, and after packing my ride, the box was close to 100 lbs (included all my gear, tools, clothes, etc). So I was faced with this challenge, how to get my bike to Hawaii without paying $170-250.
Step 1 - see how much baggage you can pack and limitations
Step 2 - pack your bike in that envelope

So, step one says I can pack two bags each up to 50 lbs in weight and under 62 linear inches. Ok, find a wheel bag that fits that, fill it with wheels and as much crap as you can and set it aside. Dissassemble the bike, pad, and pack into another bag. Check the scales, pack minimal tools, and enjoy your trip. Make sure you pad the heck out of everything, tape comes in handy, as well as zip ties, foam pads, towels, clothes, etc.

Once again, I would like to say a big FU to all the airlines that do whatever they can the scrape money from the consumer and treat us like cattle.

Ted

United Airline's Bicycle Policy:
Bicycle
Non-motorized bicycle must be prepared for travel by the customer. United does not provide tools. Handlebars must be turned sideways and protruding pedals and accessories must be removed. The bicycle must be contained in a protective/durable case, bag or box.
Within U.S./Canada: $85.00 USD 50 pounds/ 62 linear inches

United Airlines Checked Baggage Policy

For travel on United you may check two bags free of charge within the U.S. 50 states and to/from Canada, San Juan, Puerto Rico and St. Thomas U.S.V.I.
The maximum size of each checked bag is 62 inches/158cm (length + width + height).
The maximum weight per checked bag is 50 pounds/23kg each.
Have you flown with the bike this way? Did they charge you for the bike?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I have flown this way, no there is no additional charge, that would be the point of the post. Also, note on the pictures that there are baggage claim tags on the baggage. I went to and from Hawaii without any problems. The most important thing to do is understand the regulations and be ready to quote them to the idiot behind the counter.

Also, not that there are other solutions to this problem on the web, S&S machine makes cases that you can supposedly pack your ride into that meet the 26 x 26 x 10 inch envelope, but a decent mt bike will not fit. Its more of a roady thing. I went to DEAN bicycle in boulder and those brilliant guys where also working on a break down design using the S&S coupline (I may be wrong about the coupling). All of these are expensive options though.

Lastly, some airlines dont charge, but they are few and far between. Also, baggage limits for Europe and other destinations are much more limited. United only allows 44 lbs and 1 bag......

·
Registered
287 Posts
i'd like to add that your technique would not be preferred for a weight weenie or carbon bike. if you're going to break down the bike so much, maybe you should just stuff the frame and fork in a full sized suitcase for some extra protection.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts