Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
slack jawed
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It snowed this morning in Colorado's Front Range. Again.

We had back-to-back blizzards in late December and at least one snowfall each week for the last six weeks. Plus we've had some pretty cold temps which has kept the snow hanging around. I hadn't ridden in almost two months and decided to suck it up, pile on a ton of clothes, and do some snow riding.

Overall I had a pretty great time. The snow was really packed down when the trail ran through the trees but I did have to walk in some of the more open stretches. I was able to ride about 85% of the trail so I got an excellent workout. I was out for about 1.5 hours and got back to my car right before frostbite set in.

The parking lot wasn't too full. My bike got a little grungy on the drive out. Interestingly, my winter bike looks very similar to my summer bike.

The trailhead is here somewhere.....

Good riding thru the trees:

I took a self-portrait at an old homestead on the trail. I wish someone had lit a fire. I look like a total goober but at least I'm happy.

I saw a small herd of deer on the ride but was too cold to get out the camera. Instead I snapped this photo of the cows in the open range by the trailhead.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I tried the other day but the snow was too deep. I was riding on some glare ice and was having fun until there was this ice heave I thought could ride over.Wrong. The bike slipped sideways and I bashed my hip and elbow. Fallin don't scare me none, it's the over use injuries that worry me.

·
Diaskeuast
575 Posts
Ride bikes, drink beer

All ya need is studded tires, cooked animals, beer, and funhogs. :thumbsup:

Frigit Bits Twisted Race and Tailgate, Anchorage, Alaska. Saturday night 1/27:

Attachments

·
Freeriding Feline
2,548 Posts
Wow, great shots and nice bike too!
We just had a little dusting down here. Not that it matters...I'm stuck at work.

·
slack jawed
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
stingray_coach said:
Man, it looks cold. When I was there a few weeks ago my wife and I road up there. Those cows are celebrities...I took pictures of them too. Is that outside of Boulder?
Yep....Heil Valley Ranch

·
slack jawed
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
traylseeker said:
While on the subject of riding in snow, how does the snow affect the derailers?
I stayed in the small chain ring the whole time and only shifted thru three or four gears in the back. The rear derailer hesitated a little more than normal but shifted fine given the conditions. The transmission never got clogged because the snow was *mostly* packed down.

I've ridden in slushy stuff and you definitely take a hit during shifting and braking (with non-disk brakes). The trick to riding in the snow out here is to go when the temps are low and before the sun starts melting everything. I had ideal weather - - it was in the low 20s and mostly cloudy.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Cletus
I do a good deal of winter bkg but would never bring my Blur out. Our roadways are salted and sanded like crazy, and that just kills the drivetrain and anything steel. I have an old Trek 6500 that I've been beating for 3 winters now. Looked like a great ride though w/nice pics!!!

Traylseeker
My main problem tends to be frozen cables after the ride and icy cleats. During the ride, the snow and slush builds up on the rear cassette and can interfere w/shifting. It never really seems to be the derailleur.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Can't wait

This will be the first year riding in the snow. New tires should make it easier. The problem is in Richmond Virginia, we won't see much snow. I'll take a couple of inches. That's all we need.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Yes..........Thx for posting the pics............

looks like you had a good time. The ride and after ride activities looked good in Anchorage too! Thx. again.

·
Crunchatize me Capn'
2,899 Posts
traylseeker said:
While on the subject of riding in snow, how does the snow affect the derailers?
Depends on how much shifting you do. If you do a lot of shifting, through lots of gears, you can get the chain skipping quite often. This is because everytime you shift the snow in between the cogs/chainrings can get packed down if it doesn't shed. Essentially the packed snow just builds up. Usually I'm able to keep my rear shifting to three or four cogs and this works pretty good. Every now and then I might have to find a small stick and clear out the areas and dust of the derailleurs. I even run fenders and have this problem but they do help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.